Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumbs up for Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Aug 20, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well Good thing I was impatient and called UPS today because it turns out Carvin gave them the wrong address. *golf claps* Anyways the bass should arrive late afternoon. I'm still pretty darn excited. Needless to say I'll most likely never deal with Carvin again unless the bass is outstanding..... although I do wanna try an XB76....... I don't have a digital camera (I gotta borrow one) and I'm going out tonight and tomorrow night is RUSH, so if I don't have time to borrow one tomorrow morning all you crazies just itching to see pics (quallabone among others) might have to wait a few days :smug:

Peace,
    Baker

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    looking forward to seeing the picts too. I played a carvin for years and was happy with it. Better then alot of stuff I've tried over the years.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Hey Hey Hey! The truck is pulling into the driveway now. I'll give an update sometime sooonish. :hyper:

4. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    OH MY GOOODNESSS ITS GORGEOUS!!!!!!! WAY NICER THAN I EXPECTED HOLY SMOKES, LOOK WISE IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!! I gotta go play it now peace. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Well I only played it about 15 minutes, now I'm going out but form the little time I had with it I concluded, It looks like butter, It plays like butter, it even kinda tastes like butter, I can't believe it's not butter! Oh and I got a free matching headstock which I did not order, nor was I billed for, but sure enough it's there.

6. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    With a neck-through Carvin, the headstock normally comes with the same finish as the body unless you specify something else.

Glad you like it. Give us more updates as you get to know it better.
    And of course, PICS!

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    How much did you pay for it?

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Dude... pics, ASAP. :D I gotta see this one.

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I played it more thismorning! I LOVE IT! has a neat slap tone. I don't know why everyone bashes on the electronics, they seem more than decent to me... maybe it's just cause I don't know better. By the way is it normal that after about an hour of playing there are little nicks all down my ebony board mainly on the B E and A string (mostly B) they aren't deep or anything but it seems strange that my ebony should get chewed up so fast and I'm worried it'll get worse.

As for pics I should be taking them tonight before Rush and I guess they should be up tomorrow morning. Hang in there guys.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    came to about 1600 CAN I think around 1100 US

11. Is it a fretless? (sorry, I have not been following the saga) You can get chewmarks very quickly on a fretless if you use vibrato across roundwound strings.

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    yeah it is... I'll have to switch to those tapewounds I have to try to order sooner than I thought maybe :confused:

13. Yup - flatwounds, groundwounds or coated strings will all help somewhat. If you change your vibrato to go along the string instead of across it, that will also help.

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I've been saying this for years: As far as the price-to-quality ratio goes, it's hard to find a better deal than a Carvin.

Tom

Edit: That's a Carvin LB20 pictured in my avatar (circa '92). Koa body sides, gold hardware and oil finish.

15. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have a custom XB75P on order right now that should be amazing. I think mgood will back me up on that as well. The hard part is the wait for it to be built. :spit:

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah the pickups are just dandy, and underrated IMO. I think, unfortunately, some people hear so much negativity about them (often parroted by people who've never even played a Carvin) that they become overly critical of their tone and begin to think there's something wrong when there really isn't. It happened to me! (mgood knows about this. ;) )

17. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I took the pics last night at my bro'S. He should send them to me today. On another note Rush was AMAZING!

18. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Here they are: with and without background kitty.

19. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    2 more:

20. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i freaking love it. what a whicked colour combo, probably the collest busrt ive ever seen.

congrats my man :)