Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumbs Up to Dean Markley!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thrillkiller, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    A BIG Thumbs Up to Dean Markley. I've got a set of SR2000 strings that I bought many months ago, and when I was installing them the D string snapped right at the tuning post, making it unusable. So I coiled up the strings and set them aside. This weekend I emailed DM and asked about getting a replacement string (just the one string), and how much would it cost me. They are sending me a free replacement set! THAT is how customer service is done the right way.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    THAT is because Dean Markley's are made by GHS, and they have ALWAYS stood behind their strings. For over 20 years, I've been a staunch user of GHS for just that reason.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    gweimer - GHS does NOT make Dean Markley Strings. I did some research on this subject a while back, and found that there are actually quite a few string manufacturers. Dean Markley owns a company called American Winding Co. that makes their strings.

Thrillkiller - I havent tried SR2000's, but I have Blue Steels on my Precision right now, and they're pretty good.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Flatwound, they must have changed over the years then. I took a tour of GHS some years ago, and they were making Dean Markley's back then, along with several other well-known brands.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    gweimer - could be. I know that GHS is a huge manufacturer and makes strings for many others. However, I did some research a while back, because I just wondered how many actual string manufacturers there actually are. Or maybe GHS made some of DM's strings and not others. I don't know. But I do know that American Winding makes them now, as I have talked to people at both Dean Markley and American Winding.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dean markley has been making their own strings for a while now, especially the sr2000's.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Interesting that American Winding is just north of Battle Creek, where GHS is located. Since the customer service policy is VERY close to GHS's, it makes me wonder if some former GHS people might have spun off on their own.

8. um Dean Markeys are made in Santa Clara, Ca at least my Blue Steels these are some nice ass strings

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably what happened is that when dean markley started out, they had GHS make their strings for them, but then they got themselves going, and developed their own strings.

does ghs make tapers? if so, do they taper down to the core or down to the last winding? just curious, because the sr2000's taper down to the final winding, not the exposed core. i haven't seen too many strings do that. then again, i don't try out a whole bunch of different strings anymore, so i don't know. :D

10. What do SR2000's sound like?

11. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    Followup: A package arrived via Fed Ex yesterday from DM, and in it was a complete new set of SR2000 strings......AND a single replacement string for the one that was broken. So now I can use my original set and have a spare set too. Dean Markley Customer Support = Total Class Act!

12. I recently took the Rotosound 77s (flats) off my Casady because I wanted a change of pace. Although I love D'Addarios, I heard all you guys talking about Lo Riders, but Sam Ash didn't have them in stock, so I wound up buying a set of Blue Steels, and they are excellent. Not too bright, not too trebly and very well balanced. I'm pretty much sold on them. My question: Does anyone know how they compare with Lo Riders? I want to get a set for my five string soon, and was wondering if I should stick with the Deans, or check out the Lo boys? Any opinions appreciated.

Mike J.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the instrumental that's linked in my sig was played on a dean markley sr2000 equipped bass.

14. I'm gussing you were influenced by geddy lee/chris squire...right? :)

That tone is a little too bright for me...can anyone suggest mellower taperwounds?

15. I've just changed to SR2000's from Slowounds and I think that the SR's have the tightest B string I've ever come across. They are pretty bright, but in a 6 piece band like mine, they cut through well. And the B is GREAT, even on a 34" scale.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Mikey, I LOVE Blue Steels on my Jackbass. I may be wrong but if I remember correctly, those are the strings Jack uses, too. In any case, a great combination!

I also dig Blue Steels on a '96 American Jazz and my '00 Gibson TBird.

Regards, fellow Jackster.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I got a set of Blue Steels today. I haven't loaded the on yet, but am looking forward to trying them out.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the SR2000's myself, and I agree with Marty about the B string.

The B on my Pedulla is noticeably tighter with the SR2000's than with the stock Pedulla strings.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, thanks, my man. "Wisdom of the Casady bass..." I like it. Good tag-line!