Thump and pop Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kalo, Aug 5, 2003.

1. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Okay, I am sure this question has been asked to so many times, but being that I am new on this forum if someone can point me in the direction or give me some advise on how to begin practicing thumping and poping.

Should I take octaves and thump and pop them as a quarter note and when I get faster as eigth notes?

Or should I just practice thumping first an open E string playing to a quarter note beat and eventually to a eight note beat. Of course I would be using a metronome. Thanks, Litsa
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    At last someone got the teminalogy right! The best way to learn thumping and poping is to start with fresh strings and a good setup. Knowlegde of major and minor scales are a great help since alot of thumpin groove go I-II-III .Start slow and listen to yourself. Get a metronome and work with that( you will be able to not only keep time but you will learn what the pocket is)Practice it slow and practice it often. Start with the quarter note/octave stuff.
  3. kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks for your advise!!! I have been practicing in octaves and practcing with a metronome SLOWLY, and my setup is nice and low. :)
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    my greatest advice s to buy a book on the technique and go from there, there being page 1.

One that I'd reccomend, and that I learnt the method from (well my current standard, not great I'll admit but my taste for slap vanished some time back) is 'Slap and pop method' in the progressive series. It's available on here:

Have fun!