Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jackaroe, Jun 3, 2002.

1. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    i'm still very new, and any help is appreciated. Can someone please help explain this to me? What is thumping and double thumping? How is it done and used? thanx-jay
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    You can do a thread search on this topic for more detail.

Basically, striking downward on the string with your thumb is what you're talking about. Double "thumbing" is striking downward then pulling upward on the same string with your thumb.

Good luck on your quest!!!
  3. magoo4stringwiz

May 21, 2002
    If i were you i would buy a victor wooten video that shows his slapping technique that is basically thumping but better, you can learn alot, and once you do that find the song "classical thump" by victor wooten, try and find tab for it and learn it if youre good
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    or ban tabs and train your ear....thats what I did...and though I don't know as many songs as I might have if I still used tabs( I stopped almost 4 years ago, and I've been playing almost 5 years now)...but thats just me...I definatly benefited from banning tabs, I can usually identify the key of a song pretty quickly and the scales to use.
  5. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    Heres basically what i've picked up, can u guys clarify? So you make a fist, thumb parallel to the strings. sort of a swing motion w/wrist across string?
  6. in general: yes. But you don't have to make a fist and you don't have to be parallel to the strings.
    Check out "Slap it!" -great book! Search for it on the web, you'll find it.
    I learned slapping in two positions:
    First by positioning the bass VERY high (near to the teeth :), than keep the lower part of your arm under and parallel to the strings, turning my fist to hit the strings with my thumb and popping them with my index-finger in the same movement.
    The second mode is to have the bass in a "normal" position: (I hope the browser won't ruin this "art")
    \ \
    \ \_
    (__ ) / / /
    -- ---\_\---------------/

The movement remains the same, but I (!) benefit from being able to mute the strings with my wrist.
    Examples for well-known players would be Mark King for the first explained technique and Marcus Miller for the second one.
    Hope I was a help :)
  7. notnuffsleep

notnuffsleep Guest

Jun 5, 2002
    San Dimas CA
    my teacher taught me the "forcadela technique" of learning to slap. He told me to take out a credit card... i know this sounds funny at first... but hold it in your hand a certain way- it should fit squarely on your palm, while your fingers wrapping around it right at the inside of the knuckle. you should concentrate your hand's pressure squeezing the credit card, while you smack an individual string with your thumb. all this craziness will teach you not to lock up your thumb so you have have correct "impact on the string" as for pooping, extend one of you fingers (namely the index) and yank a string. Otherwise, get that Victor Wooten Video.
  8. Hey notnuffsleep!
    The idea with the credit-card is PERFECT!!!
  9. that sounds difficult and painful. ;)