1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thundebird (Gibson Vs Epiphone Pro)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyral210, Mar 30, 2009.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Im going to save up for a new Thunderbird bass, but im not too sure which to get!!

* Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-V TB
    * Gibson Thunderbird IV

How do the two stack up?
    :bassist:

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    First off one is a four string the other a five string, which depending on the player can be quite a difference.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Gibson will also hold its value / resell better.

4. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Yeah but those new Epiphone Pro's have some sweeeeet new finishes on them....I been eye-balling them myself!

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, I am fine with a 4 string or 5 string. Im not overly keen on the new Epiphone Pro finishes, but thats me. What I really want to know, resell aside, which is the better one to go for and why. Is the Gibson worth £750 more?

6. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I can't comment on the Epiphone, but my Gibson T-bird has been mixed. Needed to be setup, but now it is very fast and a joy to play. VERY thin neck. Neckdive is not as big a problem as advertised. On the downside, none of the electronics were shielded at the factory, so it buzzed like hell. Had to go into the shop to make sure the grounds were correct and to have the pickup and control cavities shielded. It's better now, but it's still a noisy bass.

7. I think they are hard to compare since the Pro Series are not even out yet. I have not played one.

They share in common a neck through design, which is a BIG plus.

However, the Pro Series has active electronics, and so far the pick ups on that model are an unknown commodity.

The Gibson IV has T-bird ceramic PUs, and it is a passive electronic bass.

8. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    They are already available in some markets.

9. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I've played a lot on a gibson tbird 4 and it is an absolute dream to play. I tries a few ephiphones in the shop and was disappointed. The t bird is like a ferrari.... Or at least a bmw. The ephiphones I've played have been like fords.

Nothing wrong with the eps... You can just tell where the extra money is going with a gibson that's all

10. the epi wins for me,and well i had a gibson tbird and i sold it for 2 reasons:
    1. poor access to higher frets
    2. the finish is just really really weird and made the neck way too sticky to play

id just get a ric :) imo lol

11. why not the thunderbird pro IV? that would sure as hell make it easier to compare the two.but we can't really compare them easily now that i think of it though,the pros aren't even out yet

12. definatly not in the US though.i don't think they come here till may.

13. I played a Thunderbird a few weeks ago, and couldn't get my hands around the neck! lol! My bf, who's also a bassist, was like "oh you GOT to see this bass!" so I went to see it..it was beautiful, but I guess I am used to Fenders and Ibanezes...

14. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    The Gibson and the Epi are completely different animals. They look similar from a distance - but get within 10 feet of the Gibson and you'll notice a big difference. The finish "glows" and has a richer hue for lack of a better description. Also- the Gibson is lighter (in my experience) weight, is not as neck heavy, and has more natural ressonance. The pickups are also hotter than the Epi- and gets a more usable low end thump and boom rather than a dull flat tone. I own three T-birds, the Nikki Sixx Black Bird, a IV, and a Studio 5 string. All are unique in their own regards, but all share a common tone with slim necks that I just can't put down.

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    save up for the real thing....Gibson. The new Epi Pros do look interesting. I had the same dilema and went the the Gibson. After a good set up (learn to do this on your own as you are the only person who really knows how you like your bass to play) and some eq tweaking on my amp....I'm extremely happy.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    To me its going to be the sound, weight & how the neck feels.

17. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, I will wait for some reviews on the Epi Pro, and if possible play a real thunderbird, and a epi thunderbird pro. I love how my modded Thunderbird Goth grooves! I just want a white one now!