1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunder bird for funk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erikthejunkie, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    Hello fellow bassist
    How are you good i hope,ive come to ask all of you a question i dearly need help/:,So lately i went out and bought a thunderbird epiphone bass,But i love to play funk,Slap&Pop is my calling However thunder birds are not very well set for funk or well atleast mine isnt:rollno:,However i ask all of you out there to help me either with preferable eq-ing on the pre amp its self,Bass modifications,New parts,New bass amp heads,Ect i ask all of you to please help me i am in need of dior help -_____- :help:
    thank you all
    -Basslove,Cheesefries,&limon-lime soda

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You *can* carve a roast with a butter knife, but it's not a really good tool for the job.

Same for a Thunderbird and Slap and Pop.
    If that's your calling, you chose an odd bass, IMO.

Work your technique on that bass to make it work - or use the T-Bird for other things, and slap on a bass that is more slap-friendly.

3. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    Hahahah thanks my technique is pretty good i can slap pretty well on it but i want more of a 'Funky' tone i was thinking of going with a squire i think imitation jazz bass but i wasnt to sure ive heard bad things about squire But so far am i S.O.L. or is there like pick ups or pre-amps preferable

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I found the tone with the bridge PU solo'd very funky. Definitely not a slap machine. Lots of options for you though; what's your budget?

5. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    Ummmm about 300- 450
    but i love used gear!:)

6. used sterling ray34?

7. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    how much :O

8. Ther around 650$ new, i would probably go with an ibanez ATK for what your after.

9. Hi.

Funny actually, it was only after I joined TB that I "learned" that one can't slap on a (Epi) Thunderbird ;).

It's not ideal, but with some EQing, it's as good as any "regular" bass for it.

Regards
    Sam

10. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    These would be my suggestions and both are within range of your budget. The ATK is a funk machine, very slappable (I own one).

Granted, you can slap on anything, but the T bird didn't strike me as having a great slap tone. Then again people think you can't slap on a Ric, yet I think my Ric sounds great slapped through my Eden Rig.

11. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    thank you A-STEP-TOWARDS
    T-Bird: can you help me with that sir

12. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    thank you mister sellout can you help me find a used one .-. :D?

13. No problem

There are some atks on ebay right now, I was just browsing.

14. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Why not a used MIM Jazz bass? I got mine for $200, immediately put some Dimarzio pups in it (~$95) and it sounded great. Over the last year I put a Warmoth neck (~$350) on it, a hip shot bridge and a J-retro deluxe preamp ($175-got a great deal) and it sounds and feels miles (MILES) nicer than the brand new MIA lefty Jazz in my local guitar shop and actually cost less and was initially playable at $200.

My J-bass begs to be slapped with Marcus or Graham tones, thumped like Jamerson or feed Mutron filters for extra stank. With Jazz pick locations and a J-retro pre I feel any tone is tunable. I can even make a PA sound like and amp ("like an amp"). I've been playing more and more Funk, Soul, R&B and dance music. I feel this was the perfect route for a lefty on limited immediate founds with limited lefty selection. Also I had fun starting with a good bass and gradually building it into a great bass.

Don't forget, Bootsy (pre space bass), Lerry (think he move on to Lakeland J-bass) and Marcus all play Fender J-basses not stingrays and Ibanezes. Those are my favorite slappers.

15. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohulahanbass:Used/New link please
    a step toward:keep me posted please the bass is my life i am in dior need of a funk machine

16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    Where are you?

I fond my bass and pickups on ebay. I did bargain hunt a bit. You can also try your local used shops and craigslist. For a lefty your limited to ebay if you want a selection larger than none.

I found my J-retro Deluxe pre and hipshot bridge at The Bass Place, Your bass guitar specialty shop

And the warmoth neck at Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Custom bass and guitar bodies, necks, pickups, pickguards and hardware.

The neck is what really made this bass feel like a sexy lady, again, better than the $1200 MIA J-bass in my local guitar store.

17. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    im in california :p
    hahaha link for the mim :D
    do you think emgs would deliver good tone?
    and Btw any slap/Funk songs that are funn i usually do rhcp :D

18. I'd get a Yamaha

19. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    My first of two basses was a cheap Korean Six String. EMGs with an active EMG preamp were about $300 and they transformed that bass. Unfortunately the neck quality on that bass never felt great and always had dead zones, so I turned it freeness when I got my Fender Made in Mexico (MIM) Jazz Bass.

If your right handed in Cali you should have some great luck on Craigslist or local stores. If your young be careful meeting folks on Craigslist though. Most all bass players are real nice.

For J-Bass funk slapping, all the greats are good, Marcus Miller, Lerry Graham, Bootsy, Brothers Johnson. My friend turned me on to Beothers Johnson Mista Cool, if you can learn that you'll have loads of fun, I don't think their songs are as sick as the first three guys but Mista Cool is stinky and technical for learning.

20. Erikthejunkie

Erikthejunkie

Apr 17, 2011
    hahaha thanks :D true im only 15 ill take a weapon or somthing XD
    hmmmmm marcus miller is a beast i got to give it up for scoop :D
    bootsy was amazing
    lerru graham is unknown to me
    and for the brothers johnson get the funk outta my face has to be my most common phrase xD

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021