1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thunder bird pickups. help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassninja7, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    so theres NOTHING wrong with my passive tbird pickups...oh wait! yes there is, their passive!

is there any pickup out there that will fit my bird, i would like to have an active bass, but i dont want to give up my baby.

as far as 3q bands go.....hmmmm

would i be able to keep the two vol pots and drill two holes for the mids and highs (use the old tone for the bass) or just drill one and have a mid-high stacked.

or better yet (assuming all this would be possible...) would i be better off gettting a 2band and stacking the bass and highs on the tone pot?

thanks to any and all feedback man.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Keep the passive pickups and install a stacked 2 band preamp.

Simple as pie.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    my fenderbird

Bass5-0069.

It has a t-bird bridge pickup, it has a Dean Edge hammer single coil neck pickup. It also has an audede 4 band preamp.

It is a looker and a player.

4. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    dude! that looks sweet!!

"fenderbird"- haha awesome man.

5. I'm in planning mode for a Warmoth parts bass and was dead set on a slab Tele Bass style body until I saw that. Now I'm thinkin'...

I've always loved the look of Entwistle's Fenderbirds, and seeing that one in a natural finish has got me thinling.

Is that Warmoth parts?

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Exactly. I have a bunch of active basses, but only one has active pickups (Peavey G). Most active basses have passive pickups and are active because of the preamp.

There are a number of preamps that he could use without modifying the bass. For example, the Audere Z3 is very customizable. The Bartolini 3.4 is a three band pre for basses with two pickups and 3 knobs. It is configured like this:

2 Pickup - 3 knob configuration

Controls:
    - Volume/Volume Stack
    - Mid (push-pull freq selector)
    - Treble/Bass stack

Either of those would work well on a Tbird with the stock pickups.

Personally I would leave it passive so it sounds like a Tbird. I have two of them and wouldn't dream of changing them.