1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunder from Texas

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ktthunder, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ktthunder

ktthunder

Aug 1, 2016
    Texas
    Hi All!! Back in the world after years. Like the Beatles, I was the only guy without an instrument. When my friend wanted to play at his wedding, a used Philip Kubicki Ex-Factor, two Ampeg amps and a BP-8 found their way to the house and I was on my way to learn one song. "I Believe" by Joe Satriani was picked and I did my best to make sure I was not the weak link. That was 16 years ago, just retired from the military, and ready to learn the right way. Still have the same setup, now I have all day to fit in practice!

MalcolmAmos likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for your service.

Welcome to TalkBass!

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Yep! Plus one :thumbsup:

4. ktthunder

ktthunder

Aug 1, 2016
    Texas
    Proud to have served, now proud to nap!

Fat Freddy likes this.
  5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    :)

6. Thank you for your service.

I jumped into this music thing when I retired in 2000 at 65. Still going, yep, do the math. You now have a leg up on the afternoon entertainment gigs in your area as the competition has to work. Most musicians have a day job. We schedule things in after nap time.

Afternoon gigs:
    • We have opened the Gilmer Yambree for the last 16 years. Course it's 11:00 AM and the concessions stands are still being put up, but, we are the open act. :hyper:
    • Iorn Horse Days in Mineola. Same thing, but, here we close. Yep WE CLOSE. :bassist: Because our director is on the Chamber of Commerce board and while the concessions stands are coming down and people are still moving around somebody needs to entertain them...
    • We play nursing homes four Tuesdays in the month. Catch them at 2:30 PM. Bitter sweet gig. They love you and are so glad to see you, then one day they are not there. :(
    • Assorted bar-b-q and birthday gigs. We've played for the VA Hospital residents and the Salvation Army family center.
    • I play two churches each Sunday.
    • And we have been know to play for just about anyone, if they feed us lunch.
    • We are all grey headed and none of us drive after dark, but we stay busy doing what we love.
    • All that and the bar scene is now open to you. Enjoy!
    But first you gotta learn how to play that thing.
    • Ask questions here. Someone will jump on it.
    • www.studybass.com.
    • The Getting Started sticky in the General Instruction section. General Instruction [BG] The Internet is now full of information and most of it is good stuff. Google gets what I need.
    • The Theory section in the General Instruction section is broken into three sections. The first 30 pages are beginning stuff. The next 30 pages are what to do with that stuff and the last 30 pages are devoted to modes. You can skip that last section for at least five years. We play chord tones to the beat of the kick drum. After you get that down then modes and melody can come into your World. Right at first we play the bottom end aka the bass clef.
    • Three or four, knee to knee lessons, with a teacher is always time well spent. When I was starting out I'd take three to four lessons and then stop so I could catch up on all the homework that was given. When I caught up or felt the need for something new I'd go back for another three to four lessons. My point; you do not have to take on the care and feeding of your instructor. Stay as long as you are getting something.

Good luck and welcome to our World.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Fat Freddy likes this.
  7. ktthunder

ktthunder

Aug 1, 2016
    Texas
    Malcom,

Thank you for the motivation! I am still rummaging through years of boxes to complete my setup. Moving around for years has been fun but I am glad to finally settle down and take care of ME for once. I am excited and nervous at the same time as when I get started into a project I tend to go full force. Just have to be patient as I know it wont come overnight.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  8. Terry Spence

Terry Spence

Nov 28, 2014
    none
    welcome

9. Terry Spence

Terry Spence

Nov 28, 2014
    none
    welcome back nice rig. what was your favorite bass?

10. Terry Spence

Terry Spence

Nov 28, 2014
    none
    My friend if your back into it WONDERFUL just take it little bit a time practice your scales and let me know. I'm from texas also I'd would like to help in your journey. take care.