Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, May 4, 2004.

1. Who uses a Gibson or Epiphone T-bird? What are opinions please?
  2. I've got a '79 Gibson Thunderbird. It has more cool than you can shake a stick at! This one has a more Jazz Bass shaped neck, a 1.5" nut width, which make it ideal for me. I find two major drawbacks with the T-Bird, first is it's tone. I think the quintessential Thunderbird tone is the bass intro from the "Kids In The Hall" television program. A lot of low mids and lows, but it does get "growly." If that's a good bass tone to your ears, then it's good. For my taste it's forgivable live, but it doesn't cut it on recordings. The other issue is the shape of the body. It's a thin, non contoured slab, and depending on how high or low you sling it, your belly or chest and/or leg can drastically affect the angle of the bass against your body.

It's big plus is that it's cooler than James Dean with a bad attitude and a year's supply of hair products.
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had and loved a T-bird myself, with only 2 drawbacks. The passive pickups hummed like a bastard, and it was neck-heavy, so holding it up over a long practice got tiring. Other than that, I loved it. I'd have another in an instant if I didn't like Buzzards even better =0)
  4. Shouldn't have had a problem with humming, especially if you used both- should be hum cancelling. In fact, I think the pickups themselves are humbuckers...
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dunno, it was a Blackbird (no controls) but I thought they'd be humbucking too. No dice, every time I played it was a hum-fest and I was told by a few people that nothing could really be done.
  6. I have a 2002 T-bird and I love it. The neck and the action are super quick. It has 2 gibson ceramic humbuckers on it. No humming here. I can leave it on my stand at full volume, and it's quiet. When it plays, it roars, though!! :D :bassist:
  7. Does the Epiphone version cut it as well as the Gibson? Its only going to be tuned BEAD for a couple of songs and for me to piss around with at home.
  8. Epiphone's version is totally different. They're version cosists of a bolt-on neck and a rosewood fretboard. I'm not sure of the quality of the pick-ups either (I'm not an expert on this, but I assume all T-birds have some sort of humbuckers :confused: , but correct me if I'm wrong). Gibson's (the real deal) have a neck-thru design and ebony fretboard. The ebony is much smoother than rosewood. This and the neck-thru design will give more sustain and tone variations. It will also stay in tune longer. But if it's just for screwing around, I see no problem with an epi. As far as budget-brands go, Epiphones are pretty damn good though. You won't get the same sound though.

Epiphones also make a more expensive version called Elitist. But if you go that route, I'd just assume blow the extra $$ on a real Gibson. Hope this helps. If not, slap me! :)