1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Funk that is.

Why with my current rig do I keep coming back and looking/thinking about this head?

TF750

Nothing missing at all with the current setup.

M2 Pre - PLX2 1804 - SWR NEO 2x10 SWR - NEO 1x15

No issues with tone at all. Plenty of power. Very light.

But something in me keeps saying I'd like to take it even smaller/lighter.

To the TF750 and two Schroeder 15+L's 4 ohm.

Even smaller, lighter with similar topology and tone. Not the same but in the vein. Not far from the Power and yet still so much less weight and size.

Why must I obsess so?

I never have the money to go in whatever whim I might have, yet I seem to allways get there somehow.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You keep obsessing because you know that a Thunderfunk has the most incredible bass tone ever!

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Because you are a GASaholic!

[I have the same affliction.]

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Yeah, till you nail the tone in your head, you'll want it.

Then the tone won't sound the same...

It's called GAS.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes I've beev suffering from that afliction for many Moons. :)

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IMO the t-funk tone is much closer to Eden than SWR, so if you want the SWR sound it would not be the call.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Curious as to whether you're familiar with the MM preamp?

Is it classic SWR tone or something more?

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well I have not played a T Funk at all ever so I can not comment on that.

The Eden stuff is very similar to SWR stuff (have owned and played many of both through the years).

The Eden Navigator, SWR M2, and TF are so close in topology it aint funny. Now that is not to say there arent some differences in all of them, that I am sure of.

IMO the SWR stuff has some of the best Bass Tone ever Produced not to say that Eden or TF isn't right there with it.

For you kiddies who havent played it the SWR Marcus Miller is the absolute best Preamp I have ever heard and I have heard a few. The feature set alone is a Giant Leap beyond anything else out there.

Here is where I will pounce on SWR. The big problem is for those who want this kind of Tone in a small lihgtweight package there are not a lot of choices.

The New SWR Preamp is aces but could they have not coupled it with a Lightweight Power section instead of the 67 pound SM1500. If SWR offered the M2 in a 25 pound or less 800 watt package I would cream my jeans.

The TF seems to be the only available combination like this.
    Two rack spaces, same EQ section, Tube/SS, extremely light.

Now I'm really just being a bit picky here because with my current M2 Pre and PLX 1804 at 34 pounds racked I am totaly happy I just dream about having that rig in a 2 space rack.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    If you never played one I suggest you try one first. I know I sound like a old School Teacher you are trying to forget but its the only way to buy something that you are going to like after the first few months. Gas can be crazy but there isn't really any logic to it. It just acts on feelings. Fight it .... Don't fail us. They do have a trial period (Thunderfunk), but you have to play it on a gig to really get the right feel for it.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Frankly I'm already thinking you are more than well outfitted unless you want some overdrive or distortion part of the time, which can be done by a small stomp-box anyway. You have good EQ facilities - if you can't shape a number of great tonal treatments with what you have at incredible levels, then instead of spending money, spend TIME learning your gear.

Man, I just outed myself as a user rather than a buyer! ; }

11. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    You know really the SM900 is close to what I describe.

Will have to try a TF at some point no doubt.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I appreciate what you say but you are missing the mark.

I have the tone I need, no doubt about this at all. IMO the M2 far exceeds anything out there.

My only obsession is having what I have in an even smaller lighter package.

My playing abbility is where it needs to be and my knowledge of what I have is complete. The loudness of my rig is very nice.

There are really no real issues just GAS I suppose.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Naw, I get that. But unless one is having to wrestle gear for many many inconvenient load ins a few pounds and a little bulk shaving really is such a piffling matter. If you wanted to really have a case for this, your current rack with that rather heavy preamp compared to a mini-head would make a more compelling case ; }

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Agreed. You are correct played some heads here lately looking at the Mini Head thing and trying to keep the power up as well. The only thing I see out there that truly fits the bill is the TF750.

Played Mark SD800, LMII, Mesa Carbine M9, Genz Benz Shuttle Max 12.

The only one that come close to my Cold Heart is the Shuttle.

I probably need to shut up and be happy with the M2/QSC (which I am happy).

I have so much Earth Shaking Power I had to add some extra screws in my studio I had so many rattles.:D The ceiling in my studio is solid Plywood. I removed the dropped ceiling when I built my 16'x20' rehersal room and installed Plywood to raise the ceiling to 9 feet high. I screwed the Plywood into the Trusses, trimmied, and painted it. Here lately I have had so many rattles I had to break out my Lithium Ion Screw Gun and go to twon. Got all the rattles fixed now.

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    All I can say is, since getting my Funks about 7 years ago (a pair of 420s) I never even *think* about buying or switching amps anymore. Size, power, and tone - they are the whole package.

/rick

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Seems like I am always making new ones. Move a few items around and all of a sudden something is rattling again. Thank Jaweh³ I don't currently have any snare drums around ; }

17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe I'm missing something, and please correct me if I am, but isn't it just a 2RU, single channel preamp with a compressor and semi-parametric mid section?

I don't really see how that feature set is a "giant leap beyond anything else out there." The BBE Bmax/Bmax-T both offer more features in a 1RU package with only a couple of trade-offs. The BBE has the BBE Process, but not SWR's Aural Enhancer. The BBE has only a single semi-parametric mid control, but doesn't take up 2 rack spaces. Another candidate for the feature set would be the Mesa M-Pulse amps. The same number of rack spaces, but we're talking about a full-blown head, not just a preamp. Semi parametric EQ with more range than the SWR MM? Yep. Compressor? Yep.

I'm just not buying the "giant leap beyond anything else out there" in terms of a feature set.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Better Look again.

Not sure if this would be the thread to go down this road.

The 4 knob Comressor with choice of Pre/Post.

The footswitchable Semi Parametric EQ section

The footswitchable Solo Boost with it's own Compressor setting that comes along with it.

The footswitchable Bass Intensifier Circuit that pumps up the Ultra Low, while Compressing itself so as not to overdrive the signal.

The footswitchable FX Loop.

The Tube - first gain stage, DI, Compressor, EQ section

The DI with the usuall level control, post/pre EQ, ground lift, and the addition of phase reversal and compressor location.

The XLR Balanced output for the Preamp output as well as for the DI.

Yeah I can see how limitted it is.

Name one Preamp that meets all of these? The BBE would not even get to park in the parking lot.

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You're just expanding upon the details of the base feature set. At this point all I see that is beyond what the pre I referenced is a solo boost, and a low end boost. I guess the balanced out, versus an unbalanced out could be construed as a feature, but having used pres with balanced and unbalanced out to feed your power amp and hearing no real world difference I'll call that point a draw.

I'm not trying to attack your pre of choice, but saying that its features are beyond anything out there seems like a bit of a stretch.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    What do you expect -- talkbass without hyperbole?