1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird : A few questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Inconnu, May 12, 2015.

1. Hi!

I was out looking at basses and I tried a very cheap Epiphone Thunderbird bass (the bolt-on version). The action was high, the neck a bit big for my tastes, but the sound! I mean, it wasn't spectacular (could have had more lows), but the midrange response was a perfect fit with my finger playing. I played a P-bass and a J-Bass with the same amp, and I never had the same feeling. Actually, I surprised myself, I actually prefer the tone of the t-bird!

I remember playing a USA Gibson once, a while back. I loved the feel (compared to the cheap Epi), but the amp I played it through wasn't doing it justice, so I wasn't blown away, but now... I've got to know more about those.

Well, to the questions now:

- There's no way I'd get the bolt-on entry level Epiphone, but what about the other models ?
    - How those the Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV (with USA pickups, neck through, similar specs as the Gibson), compare to the Gibson, for 1/3 of the price?
    - They are different Gibson versions, and prices vary of around 1k between the cheapest and the most expensive version. What are the differences between them?
    - Is there any other bass around, by another manufacturer, with the same type of midrange response, out there, that I could compare it to?

Thanks!

rickwebb likes this.
  2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    The Classic is 95% of the bass at 33% of the price, IMO, compared to the US Standard version.

Most of the differences in prices are cosmetics or limited run availability driven, not sound or feel.

hillerup and rickwebb like this.
  3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I've not played a Gibson Bird, but the Epi Classic Pro is a special bass. I am extremely happy with mine, and, if it had a 5th string, it'd probably be my main bass.

rickwebb likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I had an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV...one of the best active basses I've ever played, especially with flatwounds, but this time I'm going for the Epiphone Classic IV.
    I went to Guitar Center Saturday to buy one but they're out of stock and they aren't expecting any at the warehouse until the 16th.
    I tried the Golden Anniversary Gibson Thunderbird last week and the Epiphone sounds every bit as good.
    If I had $1,900 I'd buy the Gibson...it looks fantastic in Gold, but for $399 the Epiphone is the winner, hands down, and I have a feeling Gibson is going to raise the price to $499 in January. 4vftya.
    I have a feeling this will sound incredible with the new LaBella Gold tapewounds.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    rickwebb likes this.
  5. Epi Classic 4= awesome bass.

rickwebb likes this.