Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird bass bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gretschman, Dec 6, 2004.

1. gretschman

gretschman

Nov 22, 2004
    Lewisville, TX
    A friend of mine has an old Thunderbird that he really likes, but can't find a gig bag for it. He's found an Epiphone bag, but doesn't want to carry his Gibson around in a bag that says Epiphone on it. He also had a line on a bag in Japan, but wasn't comfortable with the situation.

Anybody here know of a bag that fits a T-Bird?

P.S. - I know it's not a bass question, but couldn't find a forum that seemed more appropriate.

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    No bag is big enough for it. I have an Epi. Thunderbird bass. I bought the big freaken hard shell case for it. Anyway It doesn't matter what the guitar and the case says. I have to sometimes carry mine in a Fender gig bag with a thick t-shirt around the top because the headstock sticks out. I have to carry it in the gig bag because that huge a$$ case won't fit into my wifes car. :)

Tell your friend that Ill carry around that Gibson bass around in a fender gig bag and give him my Epi. so it can match his gig bag. :)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

Tell him to get over himself and buy the Epiphone bag.

4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Stickers over the epiphone logo?

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I wouldn't care if it said "Cheap piece of **** inside" the idea of a gig bag is to protect the bass not to advertise what you are carrying. If you are so insecure that you are afraid to cover your Gibson with an Epi bag even though it fits better then maybe you should switch to guitar. :bawl:

6. Wow. vanity extends to gig bags now?

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You took the words right out of my mouth.....! ;) :)

8. There is another issue- if it's an old T-Bird (read 20+ years) the nut/headstock area isn't particularly strong. A gig bag might not be the best choice for carrying that instrument. Unless he likes the idea of the headstock breaking off...

9. I think it would be cool if someone grafted on a scroll headstock like from an old Ampeg devil bass onto a Thunderbird...I always thought that would look excellent...

10. gretschman

gretschman

Nov 22, 2004
    Lewisville, TX
    My, but aren't we all a little touchy? In his defense, we've discussed the issue of the Epi bag, and I tend to agree with him. I'm a drummer, and wouldn't care to use cases that advertised a brand I don't use, either. Guess I need to work on getting over myself, too.

Thanks for the useful responses, those of you who made them. I'll forward your comments.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Try a Warwick Rock Bag. They're the longest Ive seen. That T-Bird should fit in there fine.

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    If it says epiphone it then there might be less risc somebody wants to steal it?

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Plus, they make a Rockbag especially for the Buzzard, which is hella bigger than a T-bird and in the same explorer-type vein. And, they have a padded head-neck area with a strap.

Also: they say Warwick on them, but not in a conspicuous way, it's black on black.

14. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thats what I was thinking of as well. Plus I kinda like the idea of carrying a nice expensive guitar/bass in a crappy looking case. :D

15. Touchy? No. But I can think of a hell of a lot better gig bags than a Gibson gig bag. Brand loyalty is one thing, good protection is another.

But if your pal is choosing solely between an Epi bag and a Gibby bag, then it's just silly.

Try a Levy's or something much better...

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Actually, when not in it's hard case I carry my Spector in a *cough* 'Warwick' *cough* rockbag.... so I know where he's coming from.... :D ;) :ninja: :bag: :D

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Me personally I don't like any gig bags, maybe I'm just paranoid but I just don't think that they do as good a job as a hard case. As for the Epi, Gibson debate I used to keep an Alembic in a case that I had put a Hondo II sticker on. I use to love to see peoples reactions when I would show up for an audition and pull that bass out of the "Hondo II" case. :)

18. gretschman

gretschman

Nov 22, 2004
    Lewisville, TX
    Actually, he called Gibson directly, who told him they don't make one and referred him to Epiphone. I don't think any of Levy's bags is big enough.

He does have the original hardcase for the bass, and uses it for now, but since he's not loading into an equipment truck any more he feels pretty confident putting the bass in a gig bag. Also, the hardcase, as I'm sure you're all aware, is a heavy mother.

He's not trying to be a snob about his bass. He just doesn't like to advertise for brands he doesn't use, just as I wouldn't care to haul my Zildjian cymbals in a Paiste bag.

Thanks again for the responses. I sent him this thread id, so any other ideas are welcome.

19. That's cool man, sorry if I came off jerky.

I'm sure Levy's or someone along those lines can make a case that will work correctly....there's alot of places that make one-offs...if I get some time, I'll link some suggestions...

20. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    No gig bag big enough. Wrap t-shirt around head stock. Bass to big. Ogah