1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Deacon, Apr 13, 2009.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I know that there was a thread on this a while back, but I was wondering if there were any new pickups that came out or anything.

I want an Epiphone Thunderbird, I'm just not crazy about the sound. What pickups could I put in it to replace the stock ones?

2. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    theres some bartolinis that are dropins or require little modding to put in i believe.

or i see quite a few Gibson pickups aroundebay, craigslist.

3. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hm. How much do the Gibsons usually run?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    jason lollar is apparently coming out with something, so that should be good.

5. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Ah, very cool! Where did you hear this from?

6. Bass_Trax

Bass_Trax

May 7, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You can buy T-Bird pickups from Mike Lull. He even has sound clips on his website. They're based off a set of '64 pickups he owns. They sound really good...

7. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Question, whats the difference between chrome covered pickups and the normal ones?

8. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Wow, the Lull's are way too expensive. Im putting it in a $300 bass though.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Gibson pickups aren't the same size as the Epiphone, and the Bartolini Thunderbird pickup isn't either, since it's made to fit Gibson. There may be another model Bart that fits though, I don't know. If someone can provide dimensions for the Epi pickups you could check the Bart site and see.

10. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah, but Bart's dont really give off that Thunderbird sound do they? And how do the chrome covered pickups sound different than the normal ones?

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I thought you didn't like the Thunderbird sound and that was why you wanted to change pickups?

There are three different eras of Gibson Thunderbird pickups, and they all sound different (not dramatically, they all still sound like Thunderbirds). Many people think the chrome 60s pickups sound the best. The chrome 70s pickups aren't as well liked, being a little mellower sounding, but I have two '76 birds and love the sound of them. The '87 and later plastic TB Plus pickups are more aggressive sounding to my ears than the others, really good for heavier rock. IMO, of course, YMMV.

12. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Wait, Walter?

Why the hell are you on here? Did Dave put you up to this?

13. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hm...will the barts fit in the Epi?

Does anybody have some sound clips?