Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Does any one know anythin about the Epiphone TB Bass, is it any good/ worth it's money etc.
    Cheers.

2. I dont' know what they're like value wise, but I played one in a music store and wasn't a big fan of it. It's all personal preference though I guess.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I had one for a while, and I really liked it.... the neck dive really bugged me, but the bass was fun to play and it sounded cool.

P@

4. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I bought an Epiphone TB over ebay about a year or so ago, and it wasn't a bad purchase. The pickups and the mahogany give a pretty meaty tone, but as was stated above, the neck dive is pretty pronounced. The other drawback, at least for me, was the shape of the neck -- it really caused my hand to cramp up. I recently got a Ric 4003 and it was refreshing not having to deal with neck dive and pretty nasty hand cramping.

Pros: The TB is bad ass looking and is a solid bass for rock (that's why I picked it up). The humbuckers and the choice of woods provide a thick tone with plenty of lows/low-mids. I wouldn't suggest this bass for slapping/funk.

Cons: Neck dive and hand cramping (i'm not sure if this is due to having to support the weight of the neck, the neck's thickness, or what) Maybe the Gibson version is better in the neck department, i dunno.

My advice would be to try the bass out before you buy it and make sure you can deal with the neck dive. Hope that helps.

Oh, and as far as $ value goes, I'd say it's definitely a good buy if the TB suits you.

5. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Played it in the shop once and was very disapointed. Sounded a bit thin (could have been the amp) and was unplayable for me (seems to been made to be played with a pick). (No problem if your playing punk... I think)

On the other hand, you can have the coolest looking bass for only 360$

Bottom line, try one out.

greetz,
    Awesome

p.s.:You are talking about the TB IV Reverse right?