1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thunderbird bridge upgrade/replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Seansean1968, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Seansean1968

Seansean1968

Nov 1, 2018
    I play in a Kings of Leon tribute band here in the UK and I have this Epiphone Thunderbird which I recently acquired (not 100% sure in exact model & year etc!) it has the silver/satin hardware which i really like and i would like to upgrade the bridge if possible. is there a better bridge out there that will fit? is it worth me doing it? any recommendations are appreciated!!
    (Oh and ignore the black stripe around the outer edge, its just an adhesive stripe i fitted to see how it looks until i get it painted on properly)

20181203_111432. 20181203_111449. 20181203_111537.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. There are two replacement bridges on the market. Hipshot and Babicz. I went with the Hipshot.

Nebula24 likes this.
  3. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse

Jan 2, 2012
    UK
    I like the three point bridges, often they just need setting up properly.
    The biggest problem is if the windings foul the saddles (this is down to geometry), this is the only time I'd consider swapping the bridge - but there are a couple of alternatives. There's the "tone bar" which sounds a great idea, but makes changing strings awkward; or you can add a stop bar, depending on where you place it it can change the break angle of your strings (good or bad YMMV) - Greco TB's used to have these (and something in the back of my mind says when Gibson first introduced the three points they used them too)

greco thunderbird - Google Search