1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Use the top left bolt. The one closer to the lower "horn". for me, it countered neck dive. But i've got strap locks in the original spots and jsut hang my bass low, so i have no neck dive.

2. germanson13

germanson13

Feb 7, 2014
    Argentina
    That one! I tried all of them but the one that you are saying was the best, in fact, as I was able to see the Gibson bass guitars are using that one ;)

3. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Clearly, I am not well versed. By "fender spot" I meant where a "horn" would be. I am going to mess with it only on the back I think. I can deal with dive - my hands will be on the bass most of the time anyway... So excited - it's the totally used 1998 I negotiated my guy down to $800 on. Pix coming later tonight. Then I'll request to join this elite group!

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Here's the back side of my Greco, it's one of several 'Birds of mine with three strap pins. If I were using the one on the upper 'bout, some sort of strap lock would be mandatory.
    MrGreco002.jpg

Count Bassie likes this.
  5. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    First of all, thanks to all of you who've answered questions I've had about T-birds as I made my local guitar guy sweat out 3 weeks of whether or not I was actually going to buy this used baby.

I got it for $800, with the original Gibson purple lined case (beat up but fully functional and no rips inside), free set up and a new set of Rotosounds. He had a price tag of $1,199 on it - a seemingly crazy number. But since I'm "the only guy who buys my bass stuff," he worked with me. Plus he wanted to move it.

Take a look, Experts, and let me know if I got a decent deal (not expecting a steal, but at least not ripped off), if there is anything I should know based on what you see, and if someone can confirm it as 1998...

Thanks again and please make me a member! :hyper:

12804270125_ccd8a0aa82_c.jpg
    Thunderbird by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

12804267405_e7921dc3f4_c.jpg

12804272595_7ab6486693_c.jpg

12804278385_c6893d9ec1_c.jpg

Clearly, a "player" ...
    12804687694_e924df61b5_c.jpg

Count Bassie likes this.
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    First and fifth digits on the S/N are the year, def a '98. 328 is the calender day of that year, 786 is the day's production number.

I'll bring the list forward here soon, Welcome!

Count Bassie and lancimouspitt like this.
  7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    That is basically how I removed the inserts from my Goth. Instead of a t-shirt I used a thin piece of wood so I wouldn't dent the wood and have another spot to repair.

8. mr pablo

mr pablo

Oct 22, 2007
    Fife, Scotland
    New thread new pic :)

20140108_123504_zps1jwxpek_edit_1392930872918_zpsrv9n8pts.jpg

9. germanson13

germanson13

Feb 7, 2014
    Argentina
    I REAAAAAAAALLLLYYYY love the white one!!! congrats!!!! :hyper:

10. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Can I start asking a newbie question? And feel free to redirect me or ask me to stop. First of all, as a previous thread stated, just got my 1998 Thunderbird last night. I'll be playing it in a gig tomorrow night. I slung it fairly low and practiced most of the songs on our setlist last night for hours. I found it puts you in a completely different headspace than my long trusted Fender Precision. Both are awesome. So here's the first of what may be a few T-Bird newbie questions:

I feel like the action could be a little lower. I see a lot of you have changed the bridge. I think a new more adjustable bridge will help. Which one do most of you use? How easy is it to swap out? I have swapped/changed many a Fender bridge in my day - but that's the extent of my technical expertise.

Thanks and excited to be part of the T-bird family.

11. dukeandrews

dukeandrews Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Picked up a beat down goth t bird for $80. stripped it down and removed the frets, inlaid some maple veneers. Now it plays like a dream and sounds beautiful. Man, that black paint was a pain to strip, but it definitely is a mahogany body.

Attached Files:

Count Bassie likes this.
  12. Wow, that looks really great. Nice job.

copacetic likes this.
  13. mr pablo

mr pablo

Oct 22, 2007
    Fife, Scotland
    It's horses for courses pretty much when it comes to the 3 point bridge. Personally i have never gotten on with them and since i replaced mine with the hipshot supertone bridge, the difference has been night and day. I feel its better in every way but there are others who dissagree :) However IF i can find a thunderbird with a 3 point bridge that intonates correctly and gets the action where i want it i'll be a happy man cause the hipshot is a bit fugly if i'm being honest ;)

Count Bassie likes this.
  14. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Funny you mention intonation. My main concern was action. My guitar store guy brought the bridge down about as low as he could, but it still felt a little high to me. (I like it really low). It wasn't until I was about five songs into my practice that I noticed a very slight/subtle intonation issue.

I just ordered the supertone. I don't think it's butt ugly, but not "classic." It looks like it may even give more adjustability than the Fender bridges I've dealt with my whole bass playing life. Should have it next week.

It's an easy install, right?

Count Bassie likes this.
  15. mr pablo

mr pablo

Oct 22, 2007
    Fife, Scotland
    Yeah, it took me 5 mins tops to change it out

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I have an epi goth tbird so that's completely different. But ive had it for years and even my luthier couldn't get it as low as i have recently. The 3-point lacks the individual adjustment, but once the action is set low and the bridge is perfect, the lack of individuality is un-noticed. So i'd say keep the 3point on the bird and see if any of your frets need leveling (i know mine did, and i did it myself). You don't have to DIY, but it's always good to know which frets are higher than others. THen string it up, and you'll have a nice playing bass.

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    I actually like the 3 point. I fooled with it a while, I have the action really low since mine is a fretless. Before I made it fretless, I noticed that the nut was higher than I thought it needed to be. You could file out your nut a little to make your a little lower.

18. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Good job!! I didn't strip the black from my Goth, just sanded and used it as primer. I've toyed with the idea of converting a Goth to a fretless but never pulled the trigger. Glad to see someone try it!

Count Bassie likes this.
  19. hillerup

hillerup There are basses, and there are Thunderbirds!

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark

+1...

Really nice job - makes me want to do the same to my spare Goth even more! :)

20. dukeandrews

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks guys. Definitely do it! Strip the neck and just polish some boiled linseed oil. makes the neck sooo silky smooth.

Count Bassie likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021