1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Whenever I've jammed, it's been improv, usually teaching each other styles or our material, or it's people trying to make songs we love our own. There are a LOT of ways to jam.

theFixer, Christine, Larry V and 3 others like this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

I currently play in a rock and roll cover band that's fairly faithful to the originals, another band that takes songs and then bastardizes them into something else entirely, a jazz-ish band that is in the process of morphing into a more and more jazz direction over time. Then there's the band that just dissolved that started as a jam band and moved into an originals band. None have much of a reliable audience, but that's ok with me. Making noise is all I really care about.

I met a guy in Bass Northwest before it closed. He said he quit playing out many years before because it was like being a mover with bad hours and worse pay. He had a point if you are in it for the money and are a hack like I am. But, playing in front of a happy audience is a pretty good way to supplement the meager cash income. I also have a day job, so YMMV.

3. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    It also has to do with what the trend is at the time. I played in a band in New England at a time when all clubs and venues over there wanted was originals. Cover bands came in second to those bands regardless of the quality of the originals. That trend slowly went away favoring cover bands. During the transition bands with the best chances were the ones doing 50/50. I also recall a period (in this area) where Blues was the big thing so if you wanted to play out you had to play Blues. The GP can be pretty whimsical..

RedVee, Christine, Larry V and 4 others like this.
  4. I suspect many of the interior locations were elsewhere.
    upload_2018-8-10_11-33-28.
    th?id=OIP.rC8uBgD-2wv_G9HYiefJgQHaEK&w=300&h=168&c=7&o=5&pid=1.
    th?id=OIP.o8SbWLIJeOKc8unQfpeDIgHaFN&w=297&h=205&c=7&o=5&pid=1.
    th?id=OIP.Sjh-sDn2U6qKM-RjlRn-kAHaFH&w=282&h=195&c=7&o=5&pid=1.

MCF, Christine, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  5. To be fair, Jeff has never really had "a band" for any length of time. He switches musicians in and out on a regular basis.

Precious few bands can survive decades with the same lineup. U2 is one of them, and they've lost some of their original fire based on all the concert videos I've seen. There's still a lot to like there, but it's not the same. But how many of us are the same 30-40 years later? Or even the next day?

And frankly, I don't want to go to a concert and hear exactly what I heard on a recording. I want something at least a little new and unique.

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Agreed - a musician doesn't stop being a musician as we age and enter different chapters of our lives - so playing with other musicians is something that's important or not and whatever format/level it's entered as is irrelevant.

RedVee, dukeorock, theFixer and 6 others like this.
  7. Sure. Evolutionary attrition will take care of that. Not everyone can play Thunder Road in the twisties on a screaming motorcycle at 80 mph (130 km/h). The landscape is littered with motorcycle and bass parts. Mostly Gibsons; the rest tend to just get dinged up. 8^(

8. Hey! Drug talk will get this place shut down!

GBassNorth, Engle, Larry V and 2 others like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Plus, after a while, you figure out that there's only about four rock and roll songs. One of those is a punk song. There are about two country songs. Probably a zillion jazz songs, but who can actually count those up? Five or so R&B songs. Once you know about ten songs, you can fake your way through a whole lot of things. I'm only being partially facetious.

MCF, RedVee, GBassNorth and 7 others like this.
  10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    If you mean it's how any song is played/presented/performed that will be interesting/attractive to an audience... then yes, I agree. :)

RedVee, GBassNorth, theFixer and 5 others like this.
  11. Jeff Beck is a special case of everything. He doesn't care what the crowd wants to hear, he plays what he wants to play. If you want to hear him play it great, if not don't buy a ticket. But about 78 of the 90 minute set was covers.

U2, like Rush, has been together with the same members for a long time. Perhaps because it is Rush and their complex prog rock, they re-learn songs for each tour. Perhaps that is the case with U2, but perhaps not.

Seeing Kim Mitchell and April Wine this summer, I was struck by the difference. Kim Mitchell plays what the crowd wants to hear, and has a new take on his older songs. And he clearly is having fun. April Wine on the other hand, I think Miles Goodwin stopped the clock in 1980 and they sound exactly like they did then and play exactly the same arrangements. I think the set list is probably identical as well. There is nothing new there and it looks like the band is working (as opposed to having fun).

I agree - I don't want to go see a band re-creating the album note for note. I want a new take on old songs, different arrangements, and I want to see that the band is having fun with it.

RedVee, GBassNorth, dukeorock and 4 others like this.
  12. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I'm fortunate to be playing in a group with experienced, knowledgeable, musicians. If one guy knows a song and the rest are familiar with it, we can pull it off and the audience never knows it isn't part of our regular set. Both the guitarists are jazz guys at heart, but there's no place to play jazz around here, so we do old time r & r- both the genre and the song. I've yet to figure out the public's fascination with "blues". 3, maybe 4, chords and different tempos. We had a request to play some blues recently. We did and they sat there looking :confused:.I guess we didn't play the blues song they were thinking of-but didn't tell us. BTW, my favorite request:"Play something good". WT7 does that mean?:banghead:

RedVee, GBassNorth, dukeorock and 6 others like this.
  13. I think you may be over-estimating. There are probably only 3 rock songs (including the punk one), two country and western songs (one about your girl leaving and one about her coming back), and only one jazz song, but no one knows how to play it so it sounds different each time. And there are only 2 Blues songs (the ascending bassline one and the descending bassline one). So you only need to know 7 songs (because you don't need to know the jazz one, just pretend like everyone else).

MCF, RedVee, GBassNorth and 5 others like this.
  14. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    OK, everybody grab your favorite bass, Blues in G.:bassist:

MCF, RedVee, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  15. You know, the blues. Bob Seger...

MCF, GBassNorth, theFixer and 3 others like this.
  16. Which one?

17. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    You know, that one:smug:

18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    :roflmao::banghead:

19. OK, Night Moves in G. One Two Three Four...

GBassNorth, Christine and GonePlaid like this.
  20. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I was asked to sit in at a jazz jam session at a local club. Mostly to give the house bassist a pee break. They called a tune to which I said "don't think I know it but what key". We started playing it and I turned to the piano man and said" That's the name of that tune?" Probably played it hundreds of times, never knew the title.;)

RedVee, GBassNorth, theFixer and 7 others like this.