1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

My son IS a trumpet player. I started playing French Horn in 4th grade, but stopped after 6th grade. Maybe even before that, I don't remember now. We beat on the kid to at least put down a towel when he was practicing in the house. He finally figured it out. I don't know what he does now. That's somebody else's problem! French Horns don't have spit valves. You have to turn them and turn them and then drain them out the lead pipe. Kinda rude, really, but it's under more control than just opening a valve and letting fly.

All this talk about brass and I bring up the kid, which means I have to boast about him. It's a requirement that I'm a revoltingly proud parent. He has played all over the place, starting in middle school. We may think duke 'o' frock is the Forrest Gump of TB who has played with everyone. My kid is becoming the Forrest Gump of trumpet. He hasn't been around as long, but he's played at the various festivals in the US and Europe and has toured all over the place with several different bands. Orgone is probably the closest to well known, but the one I think is most interesting is another LA funk band - Mestizo Beat. Both are a great show if you can catch them. He doesn't play with Orgone that much, but he plays with Mestizo Beat just about every time they go on. If he keeps at it, he will eventually get to the point of being one of those unknown people who has played with all kinds of different better known musicians.

rdwil191, RedVee, dieselman and 11 others like this.
  2. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    How Cool!

Engle, GBassNorth and GonePlaid like this.
  3. Gaolee

Thanks! I certainly think so.

Engle, GBassNorth, JJR58 and 2 others like this.
  4. The ambulance didn’t fare too well. But it saved the paramedics from picking me up

5. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    you guys play NFL or Canadian rules in hs?

GBassNorth and GonePlaid like this.
  6. This was equivalent to middle school/jr. high, we played NFL. High School in my city was CFL rules... it was odd going to provincials the other team played NFL, so half the game was CFL the other half was NFL

Inky13, GBassNorth, Dadagoboi and 4 others like this.
  7. That's awesome! If I ever get the chance, I'll try to catch them live. W00T!

Engle, GBassNorth and GonePlaid like this.
  8. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    Im going tonlook them up post haist. Its plenty good to be a proud papa. I am to but kine are still kickin around the cub scouts lol

9. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    [QUOTE="Gaolee, post: 22314036, member: 162114]
    All this talk about brass and I bring up the kid, which means I have to boast about him. It's a requirement that I'm a revoltingly proud parent. He has played all over the place, starting in middle school. We may think duke 'o' frock is the Forrest Gump of TB who has played with everyone. My kid is becoming the Forrest Gump of trumpet. He hasn't been around as long, but he's played at the various festivals in the US and Europe and has toured all over the place with several different bands. Orgone is probably the closest to well known, but the one I think is most interesting is another LA funk band - Mestizo Beat. Both are a great show if you can catch them. He doesn't play with Orgone that much, but he plays with Mestizo Beat just about every time they go on. If he keeps at it, he will eventually get to the point of being one of those unknown people who has played with all kinds of different better known musicians.[/QUOTE]
    These guys???? Kick A$$!!!

I now have a couple albums I gotta go buy!

rdwil191, RedVee, vandoorn and 6 others like this.
  10. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    These guys???? Kick A$$!!!

I now have a couple albums I gotta go buy!
    [/QUOTE]
    smokin'!

GBassNorth, Miles_ONeal and GonePlaid like this.
  11. Gaolee

The trumpet player is my kid, right there in that video. Yep, they kick serious a$$ and a whole lot of other things. This is what happens when your kid grows up listening to everything from Duke Ellington to Sly Stone. And has a spectacularly good middle school band director who stuck in a pin that hit just the right spot to get him motivated to go for it.

rdwil191, RedVee, vandoorn and 7 others like this.
  12. Gaolee

Here he is with Orgone last November - there's a brief amount of trumpet solo at about 3:59.

He played with Mestizo Beat right before that - three or four solid hours of playing funk on the trumpet. He has an iron face.

13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    For our Queen...

Happy up coming Valentine's Day!
    @TBird1958 I'll be tied up the next couple of days with not much time to post, enjoy the clip in full screen mode.

14. Klondike

Klondike

Dec 22, 2014
    Joliet, IL. USA
    Bopping around you tube and spotted a bird!

15. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Really nicely done! Thanks!

16. Love this! That is just the coolest Tbird!

17. KingFace

KingFace

Aug 17, 2010
    Was recently alerted to this relic from the 80s, and my old band, King Face, (we were a part of the DC underground/punk scene in the mid-late 80s...though to be fair, we were definitely more rock than punk). I'm 20-years-old here, playing my first Thunderbird (a 1976 ebony) that I bought from our pal, Roger Marbury from the band Dag Nasty for, what was a decent amount at the time (especially on the salary of a bicycle courier) for $400. I'm playing through an early 70s SVT and 8x10 cab. This was shot at the no-longer-there, DC Space, in downtown Washington, which was a very intimate club that held some amazing shows from that time and that scene.

Oh, and I'd definitely recommend fast-forwarding to 15:50 for a pretty rocking version of Hendrix's "Stone Free"!

And the T-Bird in question...with black pick guard and, of course, stickers on it!

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.35.09 PM. Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.34.30 PM.

rdwil191, RedVee, vandoorn and 20 others like this.
  18. Gaolee

I was a 170 pound nose guard in central Ohio. Everyone outweighed me. It's amazing how far you can go on a bad attitude and a high threshold of pain.

Miles_ONeal, Klondike, PillO and 4 others like this.
  19. Gaolee

Do you suppose he has a bass guitar decorated for each cover he does?

20. fasterpussycat

fasterpussycat

Sep 3, 2018
    Sydney
    Oh you Americans!

Sam Burgess, South Sydney RLFC legend, played a full 80 minutes with a broken cheekbone (he shouldn't have, but there you go).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    RedVee, Count Bassie, Mike.C. and 7 others like this.