1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. fasterpussycat

fasterpussycat

Sep 3, 2018
    Sydney
    That's the rack on the wall behind him.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

We are wimps by comparison. Even the people in Oz are trying to kill you. For what it's worth, I broke a cheekbone, but it wasn't anything heroic like playing rugby. It was passing out during a graphic first aid movie in eighth grade. My cred as a macho type guy has never recovered.

RedVee, Count Bassie, Mike.C. and 9 others like this.
  3. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Played DC Space way back when, fun club!

4. Great stuff!

5. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Real football was on the streets of NY. Touch football that is. The real worry was getting body slammed into a parked car.
    Never mind a simple two hand touch to stop the play. Was all about the most damage you could do to your opponent with said vehicles.

6. Dying to know how a Thunderbird sounds through this.

7. KingFace

KingFace

Aug 17, 2010
    Right?? It was such a fun gig every time.

bylar13, GonePlaid, PillO and 3 others like this.
  8. Ahem!

9. Football, with all that padding... I played rugby. In one game (French vs. English in the Army), we had a player airlifted off the field in a medevac helicopter - broken sternum. And I get to say - I wasn't a hooker, but I hung around with one in the officer's mess.

RedVee, Count Bassie, Mike.C. and 8 others like this.
  10. fasterpussycat

fasterpussycat

Sep 3, 2018
    Sydney
    No, in football you wear shinguards, no other protection. Get it right.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    LOL - my football coach made it clear that I'd have to stop playing two hand touch streetball (as we called it) because of all the injuries resulting from the natural progression of the game. Which is to say, that two hand touch always rapidly evolved into two hand shove, which eventually led to full on tackle - in the street, into parked cars, and yes, even into moving cars if you thought you could get away with it. No pads, sometimes no shoes and half the time no shirt. First team to 21 won, by then most of us were a bloody mess.

It was a fun part of growing up. The rules were kinda just made up as we played. Each team had a total of three players, two receivers and a quarterback on offense. The quarterback stood at the line holding the ball, yelled hike and took several steps back. We had a five Mississippi no rush no run rule, so the defensive guy at the line couldn't step over the line or go after the quarterback unless the QB attempted to run or until he counted to 5 Mississippi first. There was no such thing as pass interference, so the poor receivers were just constantly getting mugged, slammed to he ground, pushed into cars, etc in an effort to take them out of the play before the ball was thrown. And if you did get the ball, you basically ran for your life towards the nearest street light, which was the end zone and worth 7 points. If you planned it right you ran with the ball towards the curb, then if you got the customary 2 hand shove you might have a chance of falling in the grass vs the pavement. I really don't know how I survived my childhood.

12. My buddies and me lived in a suburban neighbourhood so there weren’t many moving cars, but like you said, usually turned into 2 hand shove... on a good day.

Count Bassie, JJR58, PillO and 4 others like this.
  13. Gaolee

Ehem.

JJR58, PillO, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  14. Our star junior high quarterback, generally cool guy, and ladies' man passed out in science when we were watching a documentary on smoking; the doctor removed a guy's lung, held it up and thumped it to show how hard it was. Sounded like a small drum.
    Two periods later we were watching "Signal 37" (IIRC), a documentary on bad driving. There was a photograph of a dead trucker with 3" pipes that slammed forward from his load and went through his head (and maybe body). Poor Gray passed out again.

15. Gaolee

I was usually a flanker, but I was the idiot they could count on playing anywhere if somebody was missing. Being a prop when the opposing prop weighed 100 more lbs was not much fun, but I did it more than once. Dumb! The only position I never played was fullback, which is good, because I have the eye-hand coordination of a walrus. Flanker was a good CroMagnon kind of place to put people like me.

JJR58, Dr_Feelgoood212, PillO and 3 others like this.
  16. Gaolee

He can join me in the shot cred corner. Now, pardon me while I go back to picking out lace for the curtains. (We do actually have lace curtains in our house, and I actually do like them.)

Count Bassie, Engle, JJR58 and 5 others like this.
  17. What's a flanker? I'm familiar with the MiG SU-27 Flanker flown during the cold war (and probably today in some countries), but that's it. Or are you a Transformer[tm]?

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I don't know that I'd use the term wimp to describe our equivalent to Pro Rugby players, which would be professional NFL players.

The last two neighborhoods I lived in were filled with pro football players, block parties always got interesting. It's actually quite an eye opener to see how big these guys really are in person. The offensive linemen were always the biggest, followed by the defensive linemen. Keep in mind most of our Pro quarterbacks are in the 6'4" 230 pound category and they're thrown around like rag dolls by the defensive linemen who aren't even as big as the offensive linemen. Last I heard, the average offensive lineman was about 6'3" and 350 pounds, with the top spot going to Trent Brown at a svelte 6'6" and nearly 400 pounds.

I don't know much about Pro Rugby other than it looks like a cool game with plenty of opportunity for death and dismemberment. Looks like it would also take a lot more stamina than most of our NFL players could muster up. But I've seen plenty of NFL players play the game with a broken arm or nose or fingers. I can picture our NFL players playing Rugby by their rules and before the game was half over, our players would be flailing around on the ground screaming for oxygen. Likewise, I can picture a pro Rugby team playing American Football by NFL rules and before the game was over many of them would be flailing around on the ground screaming for a medic.

If you ask me I'd say the players in both sports have evolved to maximize the potential to win their prospective games. Both sports are overly saturated with testosterone and lacking in the wimp factor (remember we're talking NFL not MLB) and neither would be any good at winning in the others sport.

19. fasterpussycat

fasterpussycat

Sep 3, 2018
    Sydney
    Flanker aka 'winger's muscle'.

Some idiot was striking poses at All Black great Tana Umaga during an international match. He smirked at the bloke and pointed back over his shoulder at the wall of Flanker standing behind him. End of discussion.

RedVee, Miles_ONeal, JJR58 and 2 others like this.
  20. still padding.

GonePlaid likes this.