1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. But for many an instrument is just a prop.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Some singers are just props too...

[​IMG]

2. NOICE!!

3. They are unless they’re into pre-60’s VW’s... completely different people... I know cause I am one :speechless:

RedVee, MCF, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  4. I understand. But if he has a neck plate, he should be able to reuse that hole rather than drilling a new one.

GBassNorth, GonePlaid and PillO like this.
  5. That's what I'm talking about! I really need to save a pic on my phone so I can show it. Or just wait for you to.

6. Is that Geddy's book? A friend (Jeff Elbel) just interviewed him for an article in the Chicago paper. Geddy sounds like a very cool guy.

GBassNorth, GonePlaid, PillO and 2 others like this.
  7. Lies

Well, they were only props at first, till the Monkees convinced the producers to let hem actually sing and play (and even write).

That said, they had a lot of fun with them, even as props. Which happened later as well. SO not JUST props.

MCF, dieselman, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

This one looks like your style then. All original for sure.
    [​IMG]

dagrev, RedVee, MCF and 7 others like this.
  9. Gaolee

The reason I drilled a hole in the plate was to locate the strap button at the upper center of the plate and then reuse the original strap button and mounting screw. I didn't want to use the neck screw, because I wanted those to bite as far into the neck as they did from the factory. The plate on mine looks very different from the later, flat, polished plates. It's a cast aluminum or pot metal plate that has a lot of relief and paint. As I recall, it also has the serial number, but that isn't a point of checking very often. Either way works just fine. Another option, which I did on the first one, was to mount the button parallel to the neck, screwed into the body just below the neck. That is a completely non-ideal spot. The neck makes it tough to put the strap on or take it back off the button. As I recall, I put Dunlop strap-locks onto the strap and used a Dunlop button. Once it was all forced together, the strap never came back off again. That's OK if you have a strap for everything.

There are reasons to do things different ways. They may not be good reasons. Always consider the source and what kind of primitive intellect is dreaming up those reasons.

dagrev, RedVee, MCF and 7 others like this.
  10. I really need (and I mean need) one of those.

GBassNorth, GonePlaid and PillO like this.
  11. Can’t find the exact scene I’m looking for, so this will have to suffice.
    DB15E7E5-D48C-4848-A656-BC31D0E4E249.

12. That’s the American market model!

RedVee, GBassNorth, GonePlaid and 4 others like this.
  13. They did later write some songs themselves and even play their own instruments. But the first 4 albums were other people's songs, played on the albums by yet other people. But what is/was truly amusing is watching them "play" on the old TV show. The instruments that they are "playing" don't match the instruments you hear! So, I think it is fair to put them into the Milli Vanilli category.

dagrev, GBassNorth, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  14. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    What!!???, and there's no Santa Claus?

15. That's vicious. The what-you-see-isn't-what-you-hear just goes along with making it clear it wasn't the Monkees playing, whereas MV was out to fool the world, AFAICT.

And it was only the first two Monkees albums that mainly Boyce & Hart and studio musicians. Kirshner was kicked out after the second album (he violated his contract), and the Monkees got to be the Monkees.

PillO, MCF, dieselman and 4 others like this.
  16. That is a really nice looking build!

Chucky Stiletti, PillO, MCF and 4 others like this.
  17. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Best arrangement of Stepping Stone ever.

Kriegs, RedVee, PillO and 5 others like this.
  18. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yup!

Long story short:

I ordered end of last year. Never fulfilled. Six months pass, Amazon cancels. Suddenly available at 3X the price. I gave up.

Unbeknownst to me, my daughter saw it on my wish list and ended up getting it at the original price.

And for the weight-watchers here, it comes in at 7.4 pounds.

19. Gaolee

Engle, PillO, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  20. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Lydon is my favorite rock vocalist, and "Bollocks" is a great rock record. But for effective, nail-it pop arranginging, the Monkees' version kills it.