Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you are on a budget the $35.00 Model G is a good deal and a great pickup ;)

2. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Loll awesome, not too many people actually use it, nor did my dad when he had the gibson version :D

Wow, that's a lot of work for something epiphone. Build quality on mine was pretty good, well until recently when i set it up properly that i discovered a bunch that was wrong with it. So i'd have to say that mine upon realizing how much i had to do, i'd give it a 7/10. frets & bridge were the issues with mine.

It had quite a few: The bridge was the first thing to get checked, i strung it up a second time after the first pack of strings broke on me while playing for like 20 mins after i had streched them and tuned to pitch. My playing has been described as "heavy handed like nikki sixx", so yeah that caused the bridge to pop out in a matter of minutes :bawl: So i did a botch-ish job of applying contact cement and letting it set over night. It stayed like that until recently. After gutting the electronics for a killswitch, and before setting it up properly, i removed the back studs, cleaned off the dry cement from the bushing and inside the hole, applied some more and pushed the bushing back in. I let it set over night. The frets weren't leveled and that cause some of my notes to be dead sounding, so i marked them all with black sharpie, took a file and leveled them all out. Now it plays like a dream.

3. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    I've been playing over 40 years, and I have yet to own a bass that didn't require at least some tweaking. Necks, frets, bridges, tuners, electronics, nuts, plus strings that work and sound best on a particular bass. Now these weren't your typically cheap basses to begin with...Rics, Gibsons, Tobias, Fenders, Carvins, Hofners, quite a few Warmoths, etc. - mostly all $1K+ instruments. IF it has strings, it's going to need work and be adjusted to taste. No big deal. It's just the way of things, but also it's indicative of the fact I want optimum reliability/sound/playability from what I use ;)

4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Well, i never figured i'd need that much work, but after watching videos of actual luthiers online and reading, i've gotten down to doing my own work. Saves me money and distance to cover.

5. Looks like I am just unlucky :(
    But once I get a job (whenever that be) I'll definitely doing lots of upgrades (tuners, bridge, pickups) and I really fancy a brass nut.

6. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Just put a hipshot super tone on my new to me Tbird and got the action perfect. That was my only concern with this was the action was a little high. Not unplayable but higher than I like. Put this puppy on and it is low low low with virtually no buzz.

I do feel like the bridge is a little obtrusive when playing on the bridge pickup. Just my style I guess.

7. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm bidding on an Epiphone Thunderbird Classic on ebay and want to install that bridge if I win it. Is it an easy job, and what about the center bolt...it's three-point, right?

9. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I know the Chambers Brothers (late 60's heavy rockin' R&B) bassist used a T-bird and listening to their music it sounds pretty old-school fat to my ears.

10. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    60s TBird pickups have very little in common with modern Thunderbird Plus pickups. Alnico vs Ceramic magnets, more copper wire in 60s pickups and nickel silver vs plastic covers make a big difference.

Modern pickups are much harsher sounding than vintage ones for those reasons. You can compare the differences with test equipment as well as hear it with your ears. TB+ pickups are a lot cheaper to make than vintage ones.

11. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist

So easy to install. Didn't even need to take off the strings. Loosened them up a lot and then dropped em in.

12. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Once i get a job, hopefully soon, i'll be etting myself another bass. Well two actually, a hollowbody hagstrom viking and excuse my french, but a backup precision knock off for my precision knock off xD Loll don't take your unluckyness so hard, it happens to all of us sometimes. What pickups do you plan on putting into the blackbird and why? Also what bridge, will you be going with that hipshot supertone?

13. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    thanks for that info - didn't even consider the covers being a factor tonally

14. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    It alters the magnetic field mellowing tone slightly.

15. hillerup

hillerup There are basses, and there are Thunderbirds!

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark

So how would that work with the pickups from a regular Epi Thunderbird IV? I have a spare one I would love to mod with chrome hardware...

16. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I switched to Thunderbuckers and like Carlo says, they're much better. Light years better actually. MHO I wish I had done a before and after recording comparison. Too late as I have sold the Gibson pups.:meh:

17. Dadagoboi

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    In theory it will cut some of the highs. Vintage TBird pickups also have steel bottoms that widen the magnetic field in addition to the nickel silver covers.

18. Definetly the Supertone unless I get something like a babsicz and get the body routed, and I am really not sure of what pickups yet, not looked into it enough as I have no money and it will make me sad.

19. Hey guys, bit of a dilemna here.

I've been planning on getting an epi Thunderbird Classic IV Pro, but I don't much like the colors available. My local music store has a (kinda overpriced) black epiphone thunderbird pro. I liked the look and feel, but didn't like the tone. My question is, if I buy this one and put Gibson USA pickups in it, will it be similar to the Classic IV Pro? In terms of sound/playability.

20. Actually nevermind my last post. The Pro IV having active electronics killed it for me. Just gonna go with the Classic IV Pro.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021