1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have a Greco with the three point and claw set up. And although I really really love the bass, the three point with claw combo is not a good technical design. Recall that the three point on a Gibby or Eppi slides into the body bolts via three open front slots, then the strings hook into the rear of the bridge with string tension keeping everything in place.

Not the case with the Greco. It's designed exactly like the Gibby three point, so it's slides into place nicely on the body bolts. The problem is the strings are hooked into the claw, so nothing is keeping the three point bridge from sliding backwards off of the studs except friction from the downward force of the strings. Consequently, whenever I go to play this bass I have to double check that the bridge is still fully in it's forward position and hasn't slipped back any (which it has on a couple of occasions).

So either go with the three point and forget the claw, or go with a two piece bridge like the VP has. That's my advice.

Nocturnal, Miles_ONeal, PillO and 4 others like this.
  2. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    That was one of the main reasons that I bought the first VP. Well I like taking the 64 out and playing it, I do realize that every time it leaves the house there is a risk associated with it. With a VP, I get a very similar sound and I don't have to worry if somebody runs off with it or it gets knocked over and broken. I can live with replacing a VP. The 64 can't be replaced unless Geddy is willing to give one up, and I probably can't afford his price.

3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    From a woodworking perspective that actually makes perfect sense. Perfect break or a clean break actually minimizes the amount of glueable surface space, whereas a not so pretty break gives you a lot more glueable surface. Then there's all those little angles that will help add to the strength as well.

Miles_ONeal, PillO, RedVee and 3 others like this.
  4. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Butcherboy, Gaolee, tykus and 11 others like this.
  5. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    exactly....he was working (adding rods) to a customer’s “Larry Carlton” ES-335 whose owner’s literally broke out in tears when his Roomba knocked it over...

Miles_ONeal, dagrev, PillO and 3 others like this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Well, like I said, just spitballin’....if that’s the case, it is a dumb idea. Someone needs to put a Badbird VP Edition, with an additional 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of width, into production. I’d buy a few...

7. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    dagrev, PillO, RayWithFlats and 2 others like this.
  8. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Oh god, no. While I like the Roomba (it’s an essential tool with three dogs), any basses in stands are well away from it.

Miles_ONeal, dagrev, PillO and 2 others like this.
  9. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
  10. MCF, RayWithFlats, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.
  11. Roombas are also great for getting videos like this.

12. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    :eek: Dead Roomba! Seems it's always something silly like that and often unexpected.

It's always easier to blame an inanimate object than ourselves! We humans are skilled blame shifters.

PillO, GBassNorth and MCF like this.
  13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I love the color of that shark.

14. Blue Shark. I was face-to-face with some once.

upload_2020-8-1_21-5-4.jpeg

PillO, Nocturnal, Miles_ONeal and 4 others like this.
  15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  16. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Might make a great looking transparent finish on a Thunderbird.:thumbsup:

PillO, GBassNorth and MCF like this.
  17. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    What strings?

PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  18. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Where did the part come from?

PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  19. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Agreed on adjusting the saddles. The bridge is the one thing on this bass I dislike. Looks great, tho.

dagrev, PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  20. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I read reviews before buying a pedal tuner. I forget who did the comparison that checked pedal accuracy, but the Korg Pitch Black was at the time the most accurate in its price range (as far as I could tell online).

dagrev, PillO, GBassNorth and 2 others like this.