Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird Finishes...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Th9nker, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, so I'm finally going to order that Gibson Thunderbird that I have been lusting after for years now...

problem is, I can't decide on the finish...

I do like the traditional vintage sunburst... BUT the ebony suits me a bit more... BUT I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a nine-ply neck-thru with mohogony wings only to cover up that beautiful wood...

So, I'm leaning torward the Ebony Stain... It would make it more unique to me anyway...

The thing is I have never actually seen one... The pics on Gibson's site are okay but don't really show much...

Has anyone here ever seen this finish???

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

if i recall correctly the wood is still visible through the ebony stain finish. you can see the grain. looks textured too.

3. joentje

joentje

Apr 1, 2004
    I'd say go for either the stain or the sunburst finish, i've seen an ebony and sunburst next to eachother at my local guitar centre and black is just... well black both my elitist epi and my gibson tbirds are in vintage sunburst

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, I am definately not getting the black...

Actually, I just thought of something, I can't really tell from any of the pics I've seen, but does the ebony stain have a glossy finish over it or is just the stained wood???

hmmmm, either would be fine, but I would like to know... I guess that I could call or e-mail Gibson instead of just sitting here squinting at pictures.... :rolleyes:

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Righty-O then... Here was my timely response from Gibson:

HI Jon,
    Thanks for writing!! There is indeed a lacquer clear coat over the ebony stain finish. Thanks again!!

Regards,
    Bradley Cecil
    Gibson Customer Support
    1-800-4GIBSON

6. Personally, my favorite finishes for the T-bird are the Natural and the Natural Burst.

7. WHITE all the WAY...!!!!....

8. joentje

joentje

Apr 1, 2004
    I know it comes in classic white but i've never actually seen one

9. [​IMG]

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This is what I call "a CLASSIC BASS". Gorgeous!!!!!! :cool:

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I do like the white... I just want to be able to see that beautiful wood!

12. WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD! GET THE WHITE!!!!!!