1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird kit questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by K Connor, Jul 28, 2019.

1. K Connor

K Connor

Jul 28, 2019
    New member looking for ideas/ thoughts on a Solo Music Thunderbird kit. I got the kit for Christmas and finally got it together a couple weeks ago and the neck pickup wasn't going through. After some investigation I found out I have a dead volume pot. There is only one small spot where a little sound comes through. I was planning on upgrading the pots anyway so this is perfect. The kit came with 4 wire soapbars. My questions are:
    1) What capacitor would you suggest? Their kit came pre wired with a 2A683J cap on the tone
    2) Thoughts on push/pull for series/parallel or splitting?

2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    1) That is a 68 nF (0.068 uF) capacitor. Quite a high value for a bass or guitar, but it probably makes sense with the humbuckers your bass came with. Maybe a 0.047 uF capacitor would be a little better, but there is likely nothing wrong with your stock capacitor here. Some people go up to 0.1 uF if they want a dense, dubby tone.

2) Not a fan, personally. I've decked out basses with this sort of stuff before, then found the three settings I would ever actually use. If you EQ your amp to make the humbucker settings shine then the single coil settings might sound a bit thin. Likewise a series/parallel setting is a big chop and change in output level. I've not made it work, but others might have had better luck.

K Connor likes this.
  3. K Connor

K Connor

Jul 28, 2019
    Thanks. I wasn't sure what to do with the cap (I couldn't find anything definitive) but was considering the push pull just as a what if and wanted someone else's opinion.

4. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    .047 vs .068; the 068 will roll off more of the upper mids as you roll it off vs a .047; darker is good word, and a nominal difference will be noticed BETWEEN THE 2 since most capS have a variance of 10 or 20%

K Connor likes this.
  5. K Connor

K Connor

Jul 28, 2019
    20190805_154608.jpg Got it all put together. Thanks for the help.

Matt Liebenau and knuckleduster like this.