Thunderbird modding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dustbin9665, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Dustbin9665

Dustbin9665

Sep 12, 2021
    I've been thinking about getting and modding an Epiphone goth thunderbird IV.
    There are two main mods: A Kahler trem and pickup swap but I have a couple questions and doubts.
    First of all about the bass itself. How well made are these instruments? I get they are cheap but are they actually decent basses? Also the higher fret access is pretty important for me.
    Then the mods. Will a Kahler even fit on a thunderbird and do I need the rearward or forward saddles? Now this may sound kind of weird but I want some more balanced pickups, something that will let me play a variety of genres. I don't mind if they need routing as I'll probably hand the bass off to a luthier anyway.
    Finally, will it even be worth it? It's a cheap bass and these mods might actually be equal to the cost of the bass. I play a variety of music so I would want it to be versatile with the new pickups. Honestly I just want it to be well balanced and sound good and a decent bass for the price with a trem of course.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I'd post this question over on the Thunderbird Club forum (yes, I'm a member). My T-Bird's a Gibson, though; mainly 'cause Epiphone usually doesn't make leftys. Lots of members have (and like) Epi T-Birds - of every model. They can tell you everything you'd ever want to know about them - and more... Lots of them have a hard time leaving them stock, too. There's a very good chance somebody's already done what you want to do. Maybe several somebodies... :cool:

3. Dustbin9665

Dustbin9665

Sep 12, 2021
    Thank you! I was unaware there was a forum dedicated to thunderbirds.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022