Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird neck-dive problem...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaM13N, Jan 19, 2003.

1. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi... I'm thinking of getting a Gibson Thundebird. Have tried it at the guitarshop & really love the sound & feel of it... Only problem is that the T-bird neck-dives whenever I removed both my hands? I was told that if I changed the position of the strap-button on the body, it'll help... but the one that I've tried, the strap button is already at the center but it still neck-dives... is there any other solutions?

Another advice someone gave me was to change the tuning keys to a lighter ones...

Please advice for the above is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I own a Thunderbird and absolutely loves it !!!

For the neck dive, I simply bought a neophren strap (NeoTech), which helps keeping the Bass on the shoulder solid, meaning it does not slide like a leather-type strap. It helps a lot for the neck dive. I would not change the tuners on the Bass as I do not think it would make a big difference.

The tone of those Basses is very unique. I own a Bicentennial 1976 and simply can not put her down. A great Rock Bass !!!

3. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi Turlu...

Thanx for the reply on the Tbird neck dive... Can I check with you are you using a Gibson or Epiphone Tbird? I've tried a Gibson Tbird but its kinda way over my budget... I'm from Singapore & it costs S$2,010! So I'm actually thinking of getting an Epiphone copy... which will likely just cost about 1/2 of the price...

& my friend is going to Korea so I figure since most Epiphones are manufactured in Korea, I'm thinking of asking him to get it for me from there direct... are there difference in terms of the neck feel & body weight between a Gibson & an Epiphone Tbird?

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you want that T-bird sound without the neck dive, there's a couple of alternatives. The best is to find an old Epiphone Embassy. It's the same wood and electronics, but you'll spend 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a T-bird.
    The other choice is to find a Fender Zone Deluxe. I tried one last year, and was pretty impressed.

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Dam13,

I can not talk about the Epiphone T-Bird but from what I have heard and noticed, it is certainly not a Gibson !!! I saw one in the USA but I did not put my hands on it. Form the looks of it, it seems cheaper, no doubt.

Good luck on your purchase.

6. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Like Turlu suggested, a thicker/more slip-resistant strap could help. On my Epi TB I moved the front strap button from its original location down to the neck joint and eliminated the neck dive; however, you mentioned that the Gibson TB you were checking out already had the button moved to the "center". Do you mean that the front strap button was relocated down by the neck joint? If so, maybe the neck on the Gibson TBs is relatively heavier than the neck on the Epiphones and the button relocation solution couldn't compensate?

7. DaM13N

DaM13N

Jan 30, 2002
    Singapore
    Hi babecker,

Thanx for the reply... Yes, the Gibson Tbird that I've tried, the button was already at the center... There wasn't any modifications to it at all. It juz came that way... could be Gibson now manufactured their Tbird that way now...

Thanx alot for everyone's reply... Once I get my Tbird, I'll get to the modification as soon as I can! Thanx again so much! ;)