Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thunderbird or olp mm2(3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by retitled, Aug 22, 2005.

thunderbird or olp

Poll closed Aug 29, 2005.
  1. thunderbird

92 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. olp mm2(3)

41 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    ok... this is the last thread i make untill i make my desicion...

i have to say now that i have never played an epiphone thunderbird... but it is made by gibson and ihave heard teh gibson thunderbird all over the place...

now i like the thunderbird ALOT!!! like visually and physically is awesome.. i have never played one thoug and have only heard them being pretty deap and dont know if i can play tool songs on them... so that makes me very weary to buy it because i love tool so much...

now.... i played an olp mm2 at guitar center today and liked it... but not as in love with it as much as the thunderbird... but i like the musicman alot too..

so here is my last vote...

whould i get the thunderbird with otu actually playing it... or get the olp?

2. Id go witgh the Epi Tbird, I think its more versatile then the OLP, Which is also a great bang for the buck bass. People always say the thunderbird is only good for the lows, Which is not true, With the right EQ set up on your amo, You can get the trebly sound (almost) Like on the song Sober, Which I play with alot more bass but thats another story. The OLP is more of a mod bass, While the Epi bird is pretty much great out of the box. The OLP is a great bass but I think it could use a better pickup and have a preamp installed. For the money, I think the Tbird is the best.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    wow.. i was expecting the olp to get more votes... can the people who voted please tell me why they chose what they did?

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i vote for the olp. my brother has it, i steal it all the time (just a different sound than my js) and the only reason why it's cheap is really the cheap wiring...plus it's a little lighter than a real mm. i vote for the olp. in gibson guitars (i'm not sure about the basses) certain years tend to be crappy, while others are great. you really gotta look around.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

interesting... so how much would a re wiring job cost? i can most definetly get my uncle to re wire it for me for free but ccan u be specific by "bad wiring"? is it just cheap material or jsut half assed wiring?

6. Cheap pots, half ass Solder jobs s what "bad wiring" usually is. It shouldnt cost anymore than 50-60 US, but you can do it yourself by learning how to solder, Which is way cheaper(Soldering Iron $10, NON-ACID-CORE Solder $1-2, Extra Soldering Iron tips $1-2 each) The only downsides to doing it yourself is the risk of getting burned(which hurts like all hell, it was smelling like freshly cooked bacon in my room) And well, Not doing it correct at first, but its pretty cool, And find it fun, Even though it can be frustrating at times.

7. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well my uncle does this for a living.. so he can do it for free but ill probably need new pots... but ill see if my particuler one will need it.. if i end up buying it..

8. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    The Tbird's wiring isn't exactly the shiznit. I rewired mine- because I had a freind ( who is a NASA-certified electrician) look at it, and he said it looked like it was done by a three year old. I did a better job, and I had never soldered before. Other than that though, the Tbird is great- I personally think it is the most well-constructed bass under $700. Well dressed, smooth frets, quality woods, etc...Obviously, it's kinda a niche bass ( no Tbird for Funk) but it;s a great instrument.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You're not going to need to rewire it.

10. peladox

peladox

Aug 3, 2004
    hey i got a thunderbird i got the epiphone thunderbird gothic, i know that is not the same that the gibson thunderbird, but if you want a bass to play rock, is the best, you can use to the thunderbird to play with some slap or tapping and it sounds cool y rather prefer this bass than the fender precision, but the thunderbird has two problems in my opinion the first problem is that you can only play in 16 frets is preatty hard to play in the number 17 18 19 20 21, and the second problem is that the weight of the instrument is very badly balanced, and you have hold the neck up with your fretting hand all the time to keep it from dropping towards the floor
    you can see it in here (in that link i also found the cure for that): http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/pics/before.jpg
    but when you plugged to your amp stills rock

11. Ya know, Since the Epi is bolt on, Just move the strap button to one of the bolts holding the neck. People always make it seem like the neck dive is such a big problem, Its not. Atleast for the Epi's. For people with older GIbson Thundedrbirds(like me) Have to drill another hole, Behind the neck where the neck meets the body to compensate. Some people say to also move the other strap button towards the top of the bass. Ive never tried this though.

12. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    I agree with Tbirdbassist. Neck dive is no biggie. If you want balance, get a P or J. Lots of instruments have this "problem", but you develop technique for whatever you play, be it flute, tuba or electric bass.

13. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well i found that neck dive problem solver site a couple weeks ago while i was looking for discount dealers :p...

im gana end up going for the tbird... im so psyched :)

edit......

look at the bottom strap button... its higher up...

[​IMG]

14. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I voted OLP because I personally think they have better sound, and are cheaper, but the t bird is also good. The bassist from SOAD uses one (gibson obviously)

so it preference really, but it looks like T bird is winning

Greg

15. I cant see the bottom button cause of the shadow.

Note that thats the Nikki Sixx signature Gibson Blackbird, With only the on/of switch. On the, I think 2000-present Gibson Thunderbirds have the neck strap button behind the neck already. I think since Nikki plays with his basses so low, He never had to move the button, Also why his Blackbird had the pickie lift thing by the bridge, to help him support the bass, He doesnt seem to mind playing right by the bridge, Which I hate.