1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird P Sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Evilyn42, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Evilyn42

Evilyn42

Jun 6, 2018
    Alright y'all, I've got a bit of a dilemma here: by far, the bass that feels the best for me to play is a 2004 Epiphone Goth Thunderbird. I love the thin C-neck, weirdly in love with the high action necessitated by the 3 point bridge, the thing's just comfortable for me.

However, the best sounding bass I have is a self-built (from parts) P-J with two quarter pounders. I just hate playing the thing. The neck is a baseball bat, I can't get the action quite right, and as soon as I fix one issue, another pops up. I've tried to force it on myself for months now, cause it sounds great, but I've given up at this point.

So in a sort of last ditch effort before I try something really out there, I was wondering: is there a way I could get my Thunderbird to sound like a P bass (I rarely use the J, or them blended)? I don't wanna go active, or cut holes in the thing.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The two basses are very different from one another. I suppose it's possible to blow through several pickups, and maybe even preamps, in your Thunderbird to try to get a P-bass tone. However, there is no guarantee that you will ever find it. If it were me, I would start looking for a third bass that's closer to being "the one". After that, maybe think about throwing the other two in the closet or selling them?