1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, Apr 21, 2010.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    I just picked up a 87' custom shop T Bird and man besides being a work of art it's a great bass..I wanted to ask you guys about the output of the pickups.I just plugged it in my amp using a Hartke Ha3500 @ 8 ohm's 250 watts and the pickups are really weak, using my L2000 passive I can't turn it up past 4 or 5 without shaking my wife's stuff off the mantel, with the T Bird i turned it up to 10 (11 if it went that high) and it nowhere near as loud. compressor on the amp red lights at 9 while the G&L red lights at about 3..Now is this common for a T Bird and is there anyway to adjust the pickups.....Thanks Guys

2. Mine is a '90, regular off the shelf Gibson T-bird. (Black) pickup output is huge!...it's the most powerful of my passive basses. SOunds like something's not right with yours...

3. gaffster787

gaffster787

Aug 22, 2009
    FLORIDA
    I agree... very high output from my 2007 zebra-bird..
    The three big bridge screws can lower the action, and the pickups can be raised by their 2 mounting screws.
    If that doesn't help make sure the string threads are not riding on the saddles ( a design flaw).. I cut them off w/ a razor....and well first I would try new strings.
    make sure the EQ is flat... no need to cut the mids and boost the bass with a t-bird.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pics! No pics, no bass. (that plus I want to see it)

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    L2000s are very high output basses. The pickups themselves in passive mode are louder than just about any others, then if you use the preamp it is even louder. I wouldn't expect a Thunderbird, or most other basses for that matter, to compete with an L2000. I've never compared my Thunderbirds head to head against my L2000, but your post doesn't surprise me, it is what I would expect. Those MFD humbuckers G&L use are HOT.