Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird Playability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dash Rantic, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've currently got an Ibanez GSR190 bass, and was thinking of upgrading soon. I was originally going to get a standard Jazz, or try to find a used MIA or MIM Jazz, but now...

I just got back from a friend's house, who has an Epiphone Thunderbird. I really loved the way it felt and played. I liked the slightly more rounded neck and higher bridge especially, I definitely liked how it played a lot more than a Jazz. Tone-wise, it was a bit too "thumpy" (I don't know exactly how to describe it) for me though--I really do prefer the Jazz in that area.

So I was wondering--what other basses out there play similarly to a Thunderbird that I should check out? Something with a bit more tonal versitality would be nice.

My price range would really be below $800 (US). 400-600 would really be best--I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on this, unfortunantly.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Dash

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bumpity-bump-bump-bump, back to the the first page!

I've been searching the TB forums a bit, and haven't seen anything that'd answer my question--what else is there in that price range that plays like a TB? I'm just wanting to know my options here :)

-Dash

3. The only thing I've played that feels like a thunderbird is... a thunderbird. Not much help but thats they way it is for me atleast.