Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird Question. Please help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys. Sorry if threads concerning this topics have been done before. I searched for it but found nothing.

A local music shop is selling a non-reverse Epiphone Thunderbird 5-stringer for $300 bucks. I'm sure this model has been discontinued but has anyone played any. Any feedbacks would be really helpful. Thanks guys. I couldn't find much info and user opinions on these.

2. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Do you like the bass? Will you use a 5 string? Does it sound right? Is it worth $300? You don't need anyone's opinon on this. Just play it and if you want it and think it's worth it, then buy it.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I pretty much know a good bass when I play one having owned 5 basses before. I just want to do a little research online, getting other people's opinions on the bass since I know very little about it. But thanks for being helpful though.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The only Epi 5 I ever played is the Les Paul 5 I own. It's got the weakest, lousiest sounding B string I've ever run across. And the neck is a log.

5. I'd buy it and drop some new pups in it and rock on.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have played one - in fact I've been looking for one ever since. The B string was utterly horrible (but perhaps you could string it EADGC) and it has only one single tone - it was nice, thick tone suitable for rock'n'roll though.

So, they are not that good basses, but don't cost much, look cool and have decent rock/punk-tone.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I played the REX/4 and REX/5 in the store the other day, bro...and it ROCKED...I know you're a REX freak. The store I went to only stock Spectors so I was holding onto the REX for quite some time and I've noticed that the fretboard finishing is iffy. Other than that A+ quality. I dropped by another store. They had a NS2000/4 displayed. I examined it closely without playing it and noticed the same thing. Iffy-finished fretboard but other than that superb worksmanship. I wonder if this is the case with Spectors.

8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah I have about $700 to spend but Im considering getting it and replace the pickups. I completely forgot about this. I "played" one in the store the other day but that particular Thunderbird they had on the shelf was horrendous. The strings were rusty they felt very floppy. I didn't even hold it for 15 seconds before putting it back. It's not until now that I've showed some interest in it so I emailed the store and asked if they have a better piece in stock and they promptly replied, saying theres a brand new piece in the box. Last piece, co-incidentally.

9. Yeah, Rexs are amazing, I definitely reccommend them. I haven't noticed the fretboard problem you are referring to. What exactly is the problem? Is it just not sanded down enough or are you talking about the frets themselves?

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I mean the surface of the fretboard itself. It could be that it hasnt been sanded off well enough. Like there are rough markings on it. A little bit here and there but theyre quite noticeable. Dont know if this is will hinder playability to a certain extent.

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I've got a 5 string thunderbird with the reverse headstock. It rocks man. I play rock and it's perfect for that. The string spacing is really close though. Mine has a frost blue color - turned to a cool off white color from all the smoke in the bars. It's a sweet bass. I dig the epiphone basses. I'm getting the jack casady this week. My taste is in the classic style look for basses - thunderbird, hollow body, les paul, etc. I say pick it up if you like how it feels when you play it in the store!