Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thunderbird replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, Mar 31, 2005.

1. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    hey guys, i have an epiphone thunderbird and ive had it for about 2 years. I want to get replacement pickups cuz im tired of settling for these. bear with em because the sound i want is probally something you all hate. I like pop-punk music like green day, blink-182 and MxPx, the latter being my favorite. I just want some recomendations for what pickups i could get and where to get that kind of sound. thanks.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There aren't any direct replacements, so pretty much anything you're going to get is either going to need to be routed in, or you'll have some gnarly cavities (around, say, a J pickup).

So it's not just a matter of dropping in new pickups.

3. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    do you think i could get a musicman pickup puit in by where the bridge pickup is now and just have the hole where the middle pickup was?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I thought Bartolini made a TB replacement.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, but not for the Epi, and not even most T-birds. I mean, it's not just one year, but it's like...'60-'75 or something. Older ones or some select model, I can't remember.

But, even those are not Epi T-bird pup shapes. Trust me, they're not to be had. If there were, I'd own an Epi T-Bird right now.

Well, non-custom. I'm sure Seymore Duncan, Aero, Ken Lawrence, Kent Armstrong, Lindy Fralin (well, a re-wind, anyway) would make you a set with the right dimensions, but it'd cost $$$.