Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slinkp, Sep 21, 2003.

1. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I'm having a bass built for me, and I really like the sound of old Thunderbirds. What are my options for pickups with a similar tone?

I've found that it's apparently possible to buy genuine Gibson new pickups for thunderbirds... Do they sound like the old ones?

Also I know that Bartolini's T4CBC dual-coils are designed to same shape, but it's hard to tell from Bartolini's site whether they really sound similar.

2. I'm curious about this too! Anyone know?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

there's a number of things I would do aside from posting here.

1) go to harmony central reviews and skim them on that bass and see if anyone's had related experience.

2) call/email Gibson and ask them

3) track down gibson sites and see what's there

4) contact vintage guitar dealers for info/contacts

5) I'd also consider feedback on guitar swaps on a similar plane. Probably a lot more info availabe on them and if there guitar pups are passably my guess is there bass pups would be as well.

6) buy a new pair and find out

If you do all the above, probability is you'll be able to draw a fairly accurate conclusion from it.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Number 1:
    The new TB pickups do NOT sound like the old. They have more range, body, fuller, not as cutting mids.

Number 2:
    You CAN get covers from OVERDRIVEN66.
    I've gotten a new pickup he shoe-horned the covers he made. It looks like an old pickup(chrome) BUT it sounds like a new one.

Take the COVER you bought and send it to Seymour Duncan's shop will DUPLICATE a 60's pickup internals and put it in the cover. VIOLA! You have a NEW 60's pickup.

Details here:
    http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=21764&page=3