1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird sound.. without the T-bird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minus.eleven, Sep 26, 2008.

1. minus.eleven

minus.eleven

Nov 21, 2007
    I am looking for a (preferably passive) bass with a growly, deep tone like a Thunderbird, but I am not so much a fan of its body shape or cost. I know that the tone comes from some combination of the mahogany body and neck, and the Gibson humbucker pickups.

Are there other types of basses floating around with a similar sound? Or should I get a mahogany body from Warmoth, in which case, are there pickups that anyone can recommend for that type of sound? I know very little about soapbar pickups.

Thanks!

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Check Ebay for a Gibson IV, they're conventionally shaped but use the same components and construction of modern (post '88) Thunderbirds. They're not common but they do come up now and then, nowhere near as pricey as a 'Bird either. Good Luck!

3. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Gibson Doublecut or "Money" bass. Mahogany body & neck, set neck construction, upper fret access & it balances. The IV is butt-ugly. Sold my IV (still have a butt-ugly V), sold my Tbird, and play the Money bass quite a bit.

4. minus.eleven

minus.eleven

Nov 21, 2007
    The Gibson IV bass looks like just what I was hoping to find. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

Besides that bass, are there any pickups that people would say have the Thunderbird sound?

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Bartolini makes Thunderbird replacement pickups, they are a ceramic magnet type like Gibson's. It's rumored they actually produce this pickup for Gibson. One of my 70'sT Birds had a Bart in the bridge position when I bought it - was was later traded out for an original, but the Bart sounded good.

6. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Try one of those musicians friend Gibson Flat Les Paul basses, I believe they have T-Bird pus in them. Also maybe give the epi bird a run, very comparable to the gibson.

7. fidus

fidus

Oct 27, 2007
    i think franlin bassbuckers are modeled after tbird pups and the tbird pups custom made by seymour duncan