Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderbird steal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jan 7, 2004.

1. At a shop around here there is a black 2 year old thunderbird Gibson with some belt finish scratches and a finish divit or two. Overall clean bass with a little TLC needed. Is 650$ with case a good deal?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    seems like a good deal to me. but i like thunderbirds. if you hate thunderbirds and / or dont play motley crue records its PROBABLY not for you.

3. any others? I played it and like it but want to know what others think of the deal. Includes case.

4. Well, considering that Thunderbirds go for about $1,600 new w/case, I'd say that's an unbelievable deal!

Are you sure it's a real T-bird, and not one of those Nikki Sixx basses? http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Bass/nikkisixxbass.html Even if it is a NS, that's still a great deal as long as you like the bass.

Good luck.

Mike

5. yea I sorta freaked out and USA is stamped in the headstock and no iron crosses indicating Nikki was there. But its was a little scratched and dinged obvioulsy used on stage.

6. Hey StoutXXX, that sounds like the deal of the year. If the cosmetic damage doesn't bother you, I would definitely jump on it! In the last Musiciansfriend catalog I got, T-birds were $1,529.00, if I remember correctly.

Any kind of warranty with it?

Good luck. Sounds great to me.

Mike ;)

7. ba no warranty. I asked how old it was and the store owner said "2 years.. because thats when I first sold it". Small town so I think I might try to find the owner and buy it off of him if its consighned. Thanks for input and keep up the encouragement if you feel its a good deal.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've bought Gibson birds for as little as 6 bills in used condition. You can usually get at least 8 for them on ebay. So yeah, that's probably a good deal.

9. Any evidence of a headstock repair?

10. bass-skin

bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    i just bought a new one for 1400 if it plays and sounds as good as a new one then get i would've loved to have been able to get a used one....

11. Thats an excellent deal, and I cannot imagine you being dissappointed. If there are no repairs or replaced parts, get it!

12. Isn't the NS signature model a Thunderbird as well? Are you saying that there is a major difference between the two models, other than comestics?

13. Rabid_granny, I think the two basses are pretty much identical except the Nikki Sixx has only an on/off toggle switch (no volume or tone) and I'm pretty sure the NS model has hotter pickups.

Mike