1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird steal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jan 7, 2004.

1. At a shop around here there is a black 2 year old thunderbird Gibson with some belt finish scratches and a finish divit or two. Overall clean bass with a little TLC needed. Is 650$ with case a good deal?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    seems like a good deal to me. but i like thunderbirds. if you hate thunderbirds and / or dont play motley crue records its PROBABLY not for you.

3. any others? I played it and like it but want to know what others think of the deal. Includes case.

4. Well, considering that Thunderbirds go for about $1,600 new w/case, I'd say that's an unbelievable deal!

Are you sure it's a real T-bird, and not one of those Nikki Sixx basses? http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Bass/nikkisixxbass.html Even if it is a NS, that's still a great deal as long as you like the bass.

Good luck.

Mike

5. yea I sorta freaked out and USA is stamped in the headstock and no iron crosses indicating Nikki was there. But its was a little scratched and dinged obvioulsy used on stage.

6. Hey StoutXXX, that sounds like the deal of the year. If the cosmetic damage doesn't bother you, I would definitely jump on it! In the last Musiciansfriend catalog I got, T-birds were $1,529.00, if I remember correctly.

Any kind of warranty with it?

Good luck. Sounds great to me.

Mike ;)

7. ba no warranty. I asked how old it was and the store owner said "2 years.. because thats when I first sold it". Small town so I think I might try to find the owner and buy it off of him if its consighned. Thanks for input and keep up the encouragement if you feel its a good deal.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've bought Gibson birds for as little as 6 bills in used condition. You can usually get at least 8 for them on ebay. So yeah, that's probably a good deal.

9. Any evidence of a headstock repair?

10. bass-skin

bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    i just bought a new one for 1400 if it plays and sounds as good as a new one then get i would've loved to have been able to get a used one....

11. Thats an excellent deal, and I cannot imagine you being dissappointed. If there are no repairs or replaced parts, get it!

12. Isn't the NS signature model a Thunderbird as well? Are you saying that there is a major difference between the two models, other than comestics?

13. Rabid_granny, I think the two basses are pretty much identical except the Nikki Sixx has only an on/off toggle switch (no volume or tone) and I'm pretty sure the NS model has hotter pickups.

Mike