1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird tone in recording?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Dec 9, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    any examples? i only know that simon gallup of the cure, nikki sixx of motley and krist plays thunderbird for their recording...

and i must say that sixx anbd krist dont really have a cutting tone, simon gallup's tone is abit better. Do all thunderbirds sound like this? mild without aggresive mids?

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Are you looking for an Epiphone recording or a Gibson? I downloaded an Epi TBird recording a few months back. I can try and find the link again if you want.

3. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
  4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    thanks for the link man

but are there more examples of pro artist playin gibson/epi tbirds?

5. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    listen to some system of a down.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thunderbirds on recordings always remind me of a deeper/growlier jazz bass when used w/ a pick. They can get some really nice thundering lows to them and have a lot of low mids.

7. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    I heard the guy in SOAD actually did his recordings with a Jazz..

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Who: Who's Next, Quadrophenia
    Cheap Trick: first few albums (all the 4-string work is Thunderbird)
    anything by Mott the Hoople
    Patti Smith Group: Horses, Radio Ethiopia, Easter, Wave
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: Second Helping

9. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia

Nikki's bass cuts through plenty...from Dr.Feelgood on even moreso......

10. i dunno about shavo from system recording with a J but check out some marilyn manson, twiggy always used thunderbirds and never failed to cut throug

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Check these two out for something a bit different.

Wishbone Ash, the album Theres The Rub. Martin Turner's TBird (Roto RoundWounds) really cuts thru on Home Town and other tracks.

REO Speedwagon, the album R.E.O/T.W.O. This is before they got mushy. Gregg Philibin's TBird (flats) rocks on 'Being Kind'.

I know this is reaching way back in time (70's) but you should be able to find this stuff on their web sites or other places. If you don't like the tunes at least you can hear other tones the TBird is capable of. The Gibson TBird is not a one trick pony.

Happy Searching,
    Rezdog

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    All the early Marilin Manson. Twiggy's tone is a great example of the Thunderbird sound from clean to overdrivin.

13. +1...check out The King Will Come on the album Argus...the tone Martin gets from his Gibby T-Bird, Rotosound Rounds, and his little Pignose practice amp (which he recorded through on that track) is the growliest, nastiest tone I've heard next to Squire or Wetton...brilliant tone!

14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,

Martin Turner was one of the reasons I tried out and bought a TBird. I loved my Rickiis but they ended up taking a back seat to my TBird.

Rezdog

15. most of the stand out later who tracks (after and around live at leeds (was a p) to who's next (a bird)) most of johns recordings were done with either his franken P (electrics from a slab P (a non contoured P but not a 50's style) the body of a 60's(a fave of his which keith smashed) and a 50's maple board neck bass was finished salmon/tangerine pink) or his explorer (a gibby as seen in KIDS)

now for the bird listen to who's next deluxe 2nd cd as its a bird all the way through, also a lot of quadrophenia was a bird (tho real me was his alembic with bigsby trem)

to me the tone john got from his birds and his alembics were very similar just the alembics had ALOT of topend sheen and clear mids, both had the same thump in the bottom and lower mids, i beleive this is the cutting sound you are thinking of

16. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Most likely Spectors on that album. The sound is very different from TFFL's Thunderbird sound.

+1000 on early Cheap Trick. Actually, most late Cheap Trick stuff, if 4 string, is probably a 60's Thunderbird as well. Tom has consistently used birds throughout his career and IMO has the quintessential Thunderbird sound down to a science.

17. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I was always wondering that-I didn't know if the spectors were just an endorsement, or if they were actually being used...

Any specific Cheap Trick album to give a listen to since I don't have any???

18. That's the Tbird on The Real Me. John used an Alembic when he re-recorded the bass tracks for the film, as can be heard on the Quadrophenia soundtrack cd.

IMHO, his Tbirds couldn't sound more different to his Alembics!