Thunderbird with reverse strings for lefty?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gwohawin, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Gwohawin

Gwohawin

Jun 15, 2020
    Turkey
    Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum so forgive me if I opened this thread in wrong place but..
    I've just started bass a few months ago, I'm a lefty, my musician friend told me to buy a right-handed guitar and reverse the strings until I get the hang of it, so I bought a Cort Action A really cheap, and I'm playing like this for the past months, but as I progress it became really problematic, I can't reach beyond 12th fret because of the strap and etc.
    So I'm in a market for a new bass but my options are extremely limited(because of where I live), in my budget I can get a Schecter omen 5 LH, cort b4lh, and Ibanez sr300l but there is another option, which is to buy an Epiphone thunderbird classic(the one with Gibson pickups) and just reverse the strings on that one. Judging by the strap lock locations I think I should be comfortable enough to play it, but I don't know if reverse strings would affect the sound that much.
    TL;DR: Would reversing strings on a Thunderbird change it's sound drastically?

MCF likes this.
  2. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    There should be no sound difference but you'd have to install new strings as the shorter E string probably wouldn't reach the G pole. That and opening the G (nut) slot wider for the wider E string. From all accounts they are great basses.

MCF likes this.
  3. Gwohawin

Gwohawin

Jun 15, 2020
    Turkey
    Thank you so much for your answer, replacing strings are not that big of a deal tbh. Would you recommend that guitar sound wise tho(compared to Schecter omen and cort b4), they pretty much cost the same and I really like the look of the thunderbird(and also having gibson pickups) but my teacher insists I can't play anything else than metal stuff on that.

MCF likes this.
  4. JIO

JIO Be seeing you. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I don't own one but am a member of the Thunderbird Club here and many members have bought them and love them. If you get one - check out the club. I am a Thunderbird player from way back - nothing sounds like one. It has a R&R look, but I'm not one to hold the believe that it is specific to one type of music. A good player can play any kind a music on any instrument. The Thunderbirds 'character' is on the dark side tonally, but strings and technique can help shift its tone any way you need.

MCF likes this.
  5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Thunderbirds are not a “for metal only” bass. Far from it. They can sound like a Pbass, a Jazz bass without the high pitched “honk,”and pretty much anything you want depending on string choice and eq. The Epi Classic Pro is the version with the Gibson pickups. They are wonderful basses. You’re welcome to ask over in the Thunderbird Club thread about what you want to do.

JIO likes this.
  6. Gwohawin

Gwohawin

Jun 15, 2020
    Turkey
    @JIO @MCF thank you both for your replies, i'm now fully convinced to get a Thunderbird as soon as I can. I hope I can join the club soon. Thanks again

JIO likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022