Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spectorman, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Has anyone owned or tried a Thunderbird, i am considering buying one, i own Spectors and a Warwick at the moment, we play classic rock.
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thunderbird are really good basses expecially if you play hard rock. they have a really distinctive tone. they are more versatile as they are supposed too. theay have a raelly big case! and they neck dive. i used to have one and it was a great bass that i was forced to sell to pay the bills. you need a really powerful and big amp ti do justice to a thunderbird, they have a high output and really powerful humbuckers that tend to saturate pretty easy. if you want one and if you know and like their distinctive sound you will be really happy!!
  3. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I tried one a while ago & they are LOUD!!! Really nice tone that is perfect for rock. The only downside for me is that the necks nosedive. I also heard that they have fragile headstocks that are liable to snap if clouted too hard (something to do with stress in the wood grain???) I would consider buying one if they were a little cheaper in the UK. They seem to retail for around £1100.

They look COOL too!!
  4. Spectorman,
    With the basses you mentioned you already own, why plunk down money on a Thunderbird? They are pretty good "vintage" sounding basses but a bit uncomfortable to play IMO. Also,I can get my Spector basses to work for any style of music I need to play. BTW, what Spector basses do you own? (ie; USA NS-4, NS-5CR, NS-2000 etc.) You didn't mention them in your profile.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been kinda interested in them since I heard Shavo on Toxicity. Personally, I think they look pretty cool. The only one I could sorta find a non custom shop price on was the MF Nikki Sixx model for 900 ish. Course, it only had and on/off switch...but it actually looked pretty cool...

6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Search the threads, and you'll find some recent postings about Thunderbirds. In a nutshell (and these are my comments), what is typically mentioned:
    Awesome tone
    One of the coolest looking basses made
    Neck heavy (very neck heavy)
    Delicate headstock
    If you're interested in vintage, and want to save some cash, look at an Epiphone Embassy. These were the equivalent to the Gibson Thunderbird (same wood, same electronics, same craftsmen), and can be had for anywhere in the $600-$1600 range, depending on condition.
  7. I love my Thunderbird.
    I have never had a problem with neck dive, I don't know it is because of my build or the height I keep it at.

Now my ThumBass that thing has a neck dive problem.
  8. I got an epiphone EB-3 that neckdives like a mofo and it really makes it a bitch to gig with ... besides the tone's too "woofy" or "thwoppy" for my tastes ... but i digress. Just saying, if thunderbirds do neckdive, look into it, and make sure you'll be prepared to wrestle with one for an hour or two. They look *really cool* and sound really nice IMO.
  9. Me also. I had the opportunity to try one out (a blackbird) at one of my local music stores, and I'd buy one if it weren't a $1800 bass...and then I'd want at least a volume control, so that'd be another $200 or so, so idk I wouldn't buy one...'cept maybe the satin black Gibson T-Bird...:cool:
  10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The way I prevent neck dive on both my 1976 Gibson Thunderbird and Epiphone EB-3 is with a neoprene strap. The underside of the strap grips my shoulder very well and prevents the strap from slipping. If you have a neck dive problem, give it a try. The brand is Neotech.
  11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I own a 1976 Thunderbird as well, just like ShowDown and this Bass rocks !!!

Versatile Bass, I easily slap on it and get a great tone. The pickups are hot and the Bass has a very unique sound.

Go for it but try it before and make sure the neck dive does not bother you. Maybe the Neotech strap is the solution. I will certainly give it a try also.
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I got a 93 Gibson T-Bird for Yule this year from my Wife and parents and man that bass sings! It's got huge tone when played with a pick. I played it out with my original band a week ago and I loved it.
    Nice and comfortrable to play and it sounded great!
    It's a keeper!