Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Nov 15, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Anyone own or play a Gibson or Epiphone Thunderbird? I'm looking at getting a Epiphone T-Bird IV
    Good idea?
  2. If you like it, then its a good idea.

If you can afford the extra $$$, get a Gibson and not the Epiphone.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yea, it's decent enough as rock axe and would probably suit you as your nick hints you play hard rock.. I assume that is hard rock in traditional sense?

T-birds have nice oomph that's very nice in rock'n'roll but don't expect it to be very versatile.
  4. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    I've noticed they changed the 1000 dollar version of the bass to be called the 'epiphone elite' thunderbird....

I don't know if that bothers you or not.
  5. a guy local to me has a really nice Nikki Sixx Blackbird for sale if you're interested at all in that. If so I can get you in touch with him.
  6. Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    just as long as you can handle the dreaded neck dive!
  7. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    the neck dive you're reffering to is that the headstock is eavy right?

and I want it because i love the tone. I don't just play cheesy heavy rock. I know the bassist for the Breeders uses one and it sounds great.
  8. Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    The Epiphone T-birds are bolt on
    The Gibson T-birds are neck through

HOWEVER, Epiphone recently came out with their Elite line. Which includes a neck through T-bird.
  9. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Where'd you hear that? I know Kim Deal plays P-Basses and Stingrays and Josephine Wiggs plays motly Stingrays. I guesss you're more current than I
  10. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    yeah but Kim plays guitar in the Breeders.
    the guy from the punk band Fear plays bass.
  11. I had the opportunity to play the Gibson Thunderbird, and in my opinion, it's the rock substitute for a P-bass. But a P is still better!!!:D The t-bird rules tho, and the Nikki Sixx drools!!! One of my friends possesed on for a couple of weeks and made the better desicion and trade for an Ampeg half stack.
  12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have a Gibson Thunderbird 1976 Bicentennial Bass.

I am very lucky that I could put my hands on such wonderful Bass. Every day, that Bass simply impresses me with its unique tone.

I had a chance to try an Epiphone T-Bird this last summer also. You can not even compare the two of them !!!

Go with the Gibson and spend the extra money if you can.
  13. Rickenbacker, anybody?

Back on topic, I've played a couple of Thunderbirds only at the shop, I really couldn't get into them. Idunno if it's those two examples, but I've never felt less connected to a bass ever, other than playing a Warwick. I'd like to try a much older one - I really like Rich Priske's T-Bird/Ampeg tones on the Matthew Good Band album _The Audio of Being_, although I can yank those tones pretty much exactly using DR strings on my Rick.

14. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have an original 1963 Thunderbird II in great shape that I play from time to time. I got it for $75 in 1971. I use it for recording quite a bit and really like it.

The Thunderbird II as far as I know has never been reproduced and is a very desirable item, according to the Thunderbird mavens, due to the positioning of the single pickup relative to the strings compared to the Thunderbird IV.

These original Thunderbirds were unique among vintage Gibsons for not having the gawdawful "mudbucker" pickups. The vintage Thunderbirds really do sound great and the repros haven't been able to really reproduce the sound - again, according to the real Thunderbird mavens.

The Nikki Sixx, on the other hand, which was dumped for around $600, seems to be a universally reviled bass. I have never heard a single kind word for it on any forum. There are Thunderbirds and then there are Thunderbirds.;)
  15. They are quite neck heavy especially if u take your hand of the neck it just falls,apart from that they are the bomb!!!