1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thundercat strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nemo, Aug 16, 2020.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi, can anybody recognize the strings in this clip? Sounding like flats. I went through proper bunch of strings myself, but never encountered these multicoloured silks. Thank you.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Labella Gold White Nylon Tapewounds.

sonojono and nemo like this.
  3. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Is that true?
    I was planning on trying out some D'Addario tapewounds, might try these instead.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    According to everything I've read, it's true.

MorningSound and thabassmon like this.
  5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thank you, I have checked them online and they seem to have dark red colour silk. The Thundercat bass has different colours of silk on the headstock side, though. Perhaps he is combining different sets?

strings.jpg

6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Awesome, I am big fan of Stephen. I've also seen these multi-coloured silk ends on ads and wondered "what are they?" So thanks Jim

JimmyM likes this.
  7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I think I got it.
    Gear Rundown: Thundercat
    To achieve maximum chordal control and dexterity over the bass's fingerboard, Thundercat uses a unique combination of both nylon wound and flat wound strings. Endorsed by La Bella, he switches between Deep Talkin’ Bass Flats (.029, .049, .069, .089, .109, .128) and 750G-CB Gold White Nylon Tapewounds (.043, .050, .065, .085, .105, .135 for live performances, and often uses medium-light Dean Markley SR2000 strings (.027, .047, .067, .087, .107, .127) for studio work.

Looks like he has LaBella DT for E, A and D and GWNT for B, G and C. That's wild!
    Thank you Jimmy for guidance!

strings2.jpg

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Weird. I knew he used both but never figured they'd be on the same bass :D

HolmeBass and JeezyMcNuggles like this.
  9. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    That sounds awesome. Anyone know why the high strings are Tapewounds?

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Based on my experience with white nylons on my fiver I’m guessing he wants a clearer more midrange present tone on the high strings than a flat is going to deliver, but without sounding like a round. The low B for the same reason.

I wonder if that combination feels weird under your fingers.

11. Cool, sort of taking a cue from our brothers on the double bass side, who often mix sets for the low side/high side of their uprights.

I really dig Thundercat.

babaseen and JimmyM like this.
  12. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    I might give it a try on my E-C 5 String.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you want to do high-C tuning on your fiver get the 6-string set. For some reason it’s often found online cheaper than the EADGC five string set.

14. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    yeah, just not sure if I want to spend the 120 bucks for both sets combined

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

What’s the other set you’re looking at? I just bought the 6-string copper-white set and put the unneeded low B string in the parts bin. Were you planning on doing the half flats/half tapewound thing in the video? The 750-CB set runs around $55 last set I bought.

16. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    yes thought about doing the half flat half tapewound. I am in europe, so they are more expensive here

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It would be an interesting exercise I suppose. But it’s definitely an expensive exercise. I also think with something like Thundercat’s setup, a string combination like that is something precisely matched to the requirements of his personal playing style, his technique (he seems to use a featherlight touch) and the somewhat uncommon type of bass he’s playing. So I don’t think it would necessarily work as well with a different bass or with a different player. But the only way to know for sure is to try it.

You could maybe try the copper white nylons with a domestically sourced set of flats to save some money. You’re stuck with LaBella for the copper white nylons since those are unique to LaBella. But you’ve got some very fine string choices available in Europe. Tomastik-Infeld, Pyramid, and Optima Gold are all excellent choices for flats.

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If you're not bringing tacos I suggest you start to walk away....
    Oh, we're talking about bass stuff?

19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    "Gold" or "White"? On my monitor, it looks like the EAD strings are black nylon, and the B, GC are White nylon - no gold.

Black are the darkest in tone
    Copper have a different midrange characteristic
    Gold are like well-seated NPS
    White are the "brightest" in the context of nylon tape wound strings.

I gigged all the above. I had a set of whites last me over two years before I got divots in the nylon tape and they finally died of not holding tune and not holding intonation.

I would suggest whites, not golds, for a six-string.

20. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Professional Amateur Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Dont know what his strings are but that bass and sound are dope!

I wonder if thundercat is a fan of the thundercats!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021