Thundercat - Which strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rictrose, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rictrose

rictrose Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia

Can anyone identify these strings? It looks like he has flats and nylon wounds on the same bass? In particular - the C string sounds really bright. Would he possibly be playing with flats and round wounds?
    Does anyone know the scale of his bass?

Ive currently got Ti flats on my hollow body Citron bass which are nickel plated - very mellow - would love something a little more lively and bright but obviously not quite as bright as rounds... Wouldn't mind some of his chops either ;)

IMG_8933 (1).jpg

emjazz likes this.
  2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It does look like a mix of flats and rounds. If he tunes BEADGC then the B, G & C look round and the E, A & D look flat.

3. AFAIK he uses La Bella flats BEADGC

4. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    I think you're right. Theres a shot of the bridge and the B G & C strings are wrapped while the E A & D aren't. It certainly sounded like there was a difference between them and the way the light hits the EAD is definitely different than how it hits the BGC.. Weird

jtharp likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't know...could be wrong but they all look like the same type of strings to me.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats?

7. rictrose

rictrose Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    cool! never heard of them.. I will check them out

EDIT: Scale length only goes to 35". I need 38" on this bad boy... Seems like La Bella is the go. Although Im convinced he is using more than one type of string on that bass....Freaky genius that he is

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. Thundercat used 30-125 Dean Markley SR2000's on his MTD 6 string before he got his Ibanez 6 string.
    I know he used La Bella 45-105 flats on his Ibanez 4 string at the same time.
    Maybe he mixed the 2 sets?

9. Piperbool

Piperbool Guest

Jun 3, 2017
    The B G and C string are white nylons by LaBella. The other 3 are the normal flats by LaBella. I'm really sure, because the winding at the end of those strings matches the color.

JLW likes this.