Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk 420 w/ 2x15 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 21, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Anyone use this setup?

Does the T-funk have enought juice to power a 2x15? The Bergantino NV215 is what I have in mind.

Right now all I have is a small 112 cab that works great for home but I don't think it will be enough for PA-less gigs and practice.

Your input is appreciated as always!

2. I haven't tried that combo, but I'm sure other talkbassers have, and I'm sure it'd be enough. Do a quick search for "Thunderfunk" and "NV215", or "NV610". I owned an NV610 for a few months, and it was an amazing cabinet. Only sold it because of transportation issues in the city. I powered it with my backup amp one time (Yorkville BM400H), and the cabinet performed excellently.

That said, I own an A.M.P. BH-420, which is a precursor to the Thunderfunk, and puts out a similar amount of power as the Thunderfunk TF-420. I've got 2 Bag End S-15D cabinets that I run with my A.M.P., and the A.M.P. is PLENTY to push either one or both. I couldn't be happier with it - it's tone, volume, design...everything.

3. My NV610 sounded awesome with the TF550. I've switched some gear since then and no longer have the 610 but it IS and awesome cab. Maybe 'the Dude' can enlighten better since he bought my cab and had a TF too.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My AMP BH420 pushes the NV215 quite nicely. This should be a good rig. It might not move enough air for the very loudest of outdoor gigs (as the NV215 is sealed), but the nice thing with the NV215 is that the low end will still sound tight even if you push it hard with a medium powered head. IME, some ported/vented cabs tend to get a bit loose in the lows if you start to run out of headroom.

Tom.

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Power has never been a concern with my TFB550. Sounds fantastic with every cab I've tried so far.

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've used the TF with a NV610 a lot, it is a really great combo, warm, tight and punchy.....I've never had any volume issues, even on outside gigs and large halls.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    While it's not the same thing, my TFB420 (400 watts) pushes my Schroeder 410 (1600 watts) with no problem at all. I think you'll be real happy with that rig...

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The 420 is very conservatively rated. You should have enough power.

It sounds great with the Berg NV610 - and so I would imagine it also kicks with the NV215.