Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk 550 & Accugroove Tri112L: a new dimension!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michele, Jun 23, 2005.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Guys,
    I have to tell you a long story that I’m sure a lot of you, expecially the European guys, will find interesting. It’s about how I discovered a new sonic dimension thanks to the TFB550 amp and the Accugroove Tri 112L cabinet.
    You know I’m the guy who launched on TalkBass the “Aguilar AG500 vs. Thunderfunk” thread: I’m a city guy, I play mostly in small clubs and I need to travel light; I had a MarkBass Little Mark combo and it worked fine but ... you know the story ...a lot of you, bad boys, turned my GAS on!
    So I refined my search to this two amps and lauch the thread because I wanted to collect as many opinions as possible on these products before to take my final decision. I live in Italy and like many European guys I suffer the lack of good gear, the high prices, and the tremendous amount of ignorance you usually experience in european stores: that’s why I decided to buy blindfold from the States.
    I must say that I’m so lucky to have a resource that other Europeans don’t have: I live 20 Km. far from a U.S. Army Military Base and I have some american friends there, so I usually buy my stuff directly from the States and have it shipped to a friend at the Base. The result of this operation is that I pay exactly the same shipping as to the lower 48 States and NO LOCAL DUTIES OR TAXES!!!
    At the end I choose to buy directly from Dave a TFB550 plus an Accugroove Tri112L with the special pricing offered for Thunderfunk & Accugroove packages. Dave is a “dream seller”: he answered to all my e-mails very quickly, he arranged shipping to the Military Address in a perfect way (although it was his first experience with this kind of shipment) ... perfectly bubble-wrapped and packed, the amp was in my hands within 5 days!!! Mark provided the cabinet but unfortunately there was a mistake at his local Post Office and the cab was sent by ship instead of by plane: it took 2 months but at the end it arrived in perfect conditions and I pay just $ 43,00 for the shipment ... not too bad for a >50 lbs. package coming from California!
    And now let’s go to my first impressions of this little rig. I plug in my “One & Only” Sadowsky NYC 4 strings and I connect everything with Euphonic Audio cables.

The amp:
    Well built, light as a feather, loud as hell but first and foremost an incredible well-voiced amp: so musical, so warm yet so clear across all the frequency spectrum. I have the “Switch” option (for $ 75,00 is better to have it) and although very subtle YES it changes the sound to the less coloured side ... definitely a useful feature for slappers. But what I really like is the classic Thunderfunk tone: warm, fat, deep and punchy. Just plug in, give a little tweaking at the Enhance control, a drop of Timbre control and you’re istantly in the Growl Heaven!

The cab:
    I choose Accugrove for the cabinet just because Dave reccomends it. That’s pretty logical to me: once I decided to trust into his work I have to use the cabinet he claims to be the best with his amp.
    I was shocked to see how extremely well built the Tri112L is! Very solid yet very light, easy to carry around thanks to his recessed handles. It has on the back separate volume knobs for the mid speaker and the tweeters ... you can tune your system to perfection! It comes with a very nice protective padded cover.

And now let’s match ‘em:
    The match is incredible: there’s sure some magic into it! Now you can really understand the Accugroove phylosophy. The key word? NATURAL! The sound comes out in an effortless, natural way, it seems pouring from the ceiling and coming from all around you. It’s hard for me to describe it ‘cause English isn’t my native language, but I feel like I’m into a vaporous cloud of sound! I’ve always loved the way my Sadowsky sounds unplugged and for the very first time, thanks to this rig, I hear the PUREST translation of that sound.

I want only add that Dave Funk and Mark Wright sure know how to do their jobs and it was a pleasure to deal with them. Thanks to them I had the opportunity to enjoy their products at the same price an american guy can. I’m really satisfied because I give my money directly to the manufacturers: I tried to do this everytime I can ... it’s the best way to get great products with First Class customer service and 1st hand information.

So, what else to say? Sadowsky plus Thunderfunk plus Accugroove ... I’m in the Bass Paradise!!!! :D

godley69 likes this.
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You don't know how envious I am! ;)
    And the othe European TBers, too

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I think you just pushed me over the edge - I've been considering a ThunderFunk 550 for a while (after playing the 420) and had also been considering an accugroove cab of some description...

I can feel a very expensive bill coming my way!!!

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I want a Tri112 so bad.......

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congratulations on a great rig! And let me add that you do a great job describing the sound, and your English is excellent!

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

6. Great review and you make me so jealous! I've got to save the money. I'll probably never be able to afford the Aguilar DB 750 that I want, but the Thunderfunk and a small Accugroove cab is within reason. Where do you live in Italy? It sounds like you are in the north. I have frineds in Bolzano, Riva del Garda, Bologna and in a little village near Gallipoli in the south.

7. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Thanks Tom! You're one of those "bad boys" I referred to when talking about GAS! ;)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Who? Me? :p

9. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Greetings from the Deep South, man! I live in Sicily, the Land of sun, sea & lemons. When I say "warm" I know what I'm talking about! ;)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    they make cables, too? :eyebrow:

but great story/review! the Tri112 is quite the cab. its like cab-velcro, and mind melds with most anything thrown at it.

and your cab came with a padded cover?! :spit:

11. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Oh My God ... I mean EVIDENCE AUDIO!!! :eek:

12. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Joker, your point about the Tri 112 being so malleable is 100% correct. Recently I've used my with my Bob Glaub-huge fat slam coming out. Another bass player in the venue was certain it had a 15 in it. A few days later, I was using my Sadowsky with it, getting total definition and crispness and that Sadowsky tone we love so much. The cabinet has amazing versatility.

13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    !!!! miiiiiiiii !!!!!
    Ciao Michele, che culo (ooopppps bad words)!
    Ottima scelta e ottimo affare! come stai?

Sorry guys for the italian talking, but you know....! :D

Have a nice day

Mo'

14. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Grande Maurilio!!! E come potrei stare male dopo un acquisto del genere?!! ;) -sorry guys-
    I see you too enjoy a Sadowsky through Tunderfunk plus Bergantino ... not too bad!
    Ciao!

15. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Yes, I'm pretty satisfied! but these Accugroove...... GAS (....metano ti da' una mano :eyebrow: :rolleyes: )

16. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    He ,he , he!!! This Tri112L is very cool! You can't escape ... :D

17. Ciao Michele, complimenti per il nuovo rig! Concordo - come si puo' star male dopo quel tipo d'acquisto?!

Ho una domanda per quanto riguarda un markbass - come sono i prezzi li' in italia? Sto cerchando un piccolo amp (che non sia pesante) e qui negli states i markbass sono cari.

Communque, complimenti e tante belle cose.

ciao, Jay

18. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah the Thunderfunk/Accugroove combo is a great thing. I love my TF550 and Whappo Jr. The Whappo Jr's tone really opened up after a few hours of play it. I really sounds great and is an easy transport (sort of... the whappo jr cabinet is a little large going down small halls or stairs, but it is managable and the weight isn't bad).

godley69 likes this.
  19. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Hey, hey .... we must use English!!! I send you a PM (in Italian)!!!

20. But it's so much fun to digress every now and again! :p

PM returned BTW...congrats again.

Jay