1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk 550 VS Aggie DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atrapp, Mar 5, 2008.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Gotta line on a possible trade... any thoughts/comparisons of these two heads?

I know the Aggie is more than twice the weight and is rated higher in output.

Any info is much appreciated!

Cheers,

2. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    My vote is for the TF! Don't care too much for the Aggie heads.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i would go db 750. its simplicity and power is worth it for me

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I love my DB750, but I can't speak for the TF. It would not be on my list because I need my amps to down to 2 ohms...and the TF550 is listed at 4 ohms.

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    the new tf750 does 2 ohms i believe..... the tf is a wonderful punchy organically warm amp

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    apples and oranges I would guess. I've never used the DB750, but its a legend, it seems. I would not call the 'funk a legend, but its no slouch either.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the apples and oranges. Not Walter Woods vs vintage SVT levels of difference, but they're different amps for sure.

I disagree on the legend thing, at least around here (where it matters). I think they're both considered legendary high end production amps which have both inspired and solved GAS for a lot of people. I couldn't count on all of my fingers how many TBers have had multiples of each one and have said "you'll be back" to their fellow DB750 or TFB-550 owners as they hit the classifieds.

Either one would be a great cover-most-bases head. I'd take the Thunderfunk personally, but that's by a nose and based entirely on nitpicky preference stuff. Aside from aesthetics, it pretty much comes down to how much you're willing to deal with the weight, how much the TF's timbre and enhance knobs mean to you, and what your needs are as far as equalization.

8. Toby,
    FWIW I have no experience with the Aguilar DB750 BUT my Thunderfunk 550A has absolutely cured my amp gas. Though I wouldn't mind a Aguilar AG500SC for a backup :D
    Mark

9. If you like simple interfaced more classic lead sled thick power, get the DB750.

If you like more versatile modern sounding light weight punchy quick amps, get the T-funk.

Its a preference thing as they both are considered top of the line professional amps.

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I actually prefer the Thunderfunk over the DB750 and the new 750A is unbelievable. I've only had mine a couple of weeks in one rehearsal and it was absolutely sensational. Same power output as the DB750 with half the weight. Sounds better (to me) out of the box with more flexibility on EQ, especially with the magic enhance\timbre knobs. Dave says 4ohm is the optimal load, but will go down to 2ohms (I didn't really probe on what he meant by this as it wasn't much of a consideration for me). It is easy to use, but loaded with many cool features my earlier TFunk 420 didn't have (gold chip, the "switch", mute button, pre\post eq). Another cool feature is that the fan glows a cool shade of blue when engaged, so easy to tell it is running without sticking your head around back (it is very quiet).

The tone is warm, yet quick and defined. Tight lows, smooth, punchy and sweet mids with glassy, transparent highs. Very musical sounding overall. Very loud, too with lots of headroom. Has much more girth\heft to the tone than the 420 had. Me like.:D

11. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I already own the Thunderfunk (550A), I prefer it over my SVT II Pro, Eden Nav/Creast CA6 and Mesa Walkabout(scout). I'll have the opportunity to play them (TF VS AGGIE) side by side - we'll see how that turns out. My only gripe with the TF is the 4 ohm minimum, I have used at rehearsal with a rewired Eden 410XLT to 2 ohms (to keep my SVT happy). The TF seemed stable enough at low volumes, but made for a bit too much worry on my part. Maybe the smart path is the TF750...

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd say it is a good call if you like the tone of your 550 - the extra headroom and design make for a similar tone profile - just up a notch. There is a big difference with that against the 420, anyway. Bigger overall sound with heavier lows, more open...

13. I have had the 550 and currently have the TF750-A and a DB750. I use the DB750 at home to justify keeping it (my 5th one :eek:). I have resolved myself that I am keeping it so I don't lose my butt again selling it. BUT I have to say that the TF750A is off the hook. All the warmth of the 550, all the balls of the DB750. The TF750 has so much more depth and clarity than the DB750 or the TF550. I HIGHLY recommend stepping up to the TF750 if at all possible. The difference is very audible IMO.

My current rig is a NEVE 8801 into the TF750A into an NV215 or NV610 and it is the bomb! I add an AE210 on top of the NV215 sometimes and it is the Best tone I have ever had by a mile!!!!

Go for it!

Peace,

T

14. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    No problems here runnin 2ohms on my 750a.

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Sir, I'll have you know that your statement has given me a response normally reserved for my wife. :eyebrow: :eek:

16. chris818

chris818 Supporting Member

It sorta depends on what kind of tone you prefer and if you need an amp that can go down to 2 Ohms.

Both are very well made amps.
    I owned a DB750 and sold it for a Thunderfunk TFB550B.

The DB750 is really, really nice. It's close to impossible to get a bad tone out of it. I was able to get a toobie vintage sound with ease. Just really Warm, Fat and with some Grind if that's your thing. It wasn't nearly as heavy as my SVT but nonetheless, I sold it because of weight being an issue. If you gig alot, it's bitch.

The Thunderfunk is a different animal that can get pretty fat sounding too. I was really surprised about that (I bought it sight unseen - never played through one). It has alot more tonal options available than the DB750. It has a nice voice - really clear and punchy but can get really deep and dub with a twist of the timbre and some EQing. The knobs work well and are very sensitive. It's fun to mess around with because there are so many tonal varieties on tap. It's cool. And the construction is flawless. Dave Funk is a Master.

Other factors I considered when deciding to switch to Thunderfunk were the light weight, price, construction and Dave Funk being thorough and easy to talk to. I'm stoked on it!

They're very different amps but TF gets the nod.:)

17. LOL!

Peace,

T

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    With the TFB550 and the DB750, you're not comparing apples and apples.
    Two very different sounding amps, with very different eq's to boot.

A more fair comparison would be TFB750 to DB750.
    The Thunderfunk wins, for my needs and my ear...but, yours might be different.

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm REALLY liking the db750.