Thunderfunk 750/800 - Full Circle!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPMcGuire, Feb 19, 2018.

1. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Over the last ten years I’ve tried just about all the choices and came back to thunderfunk. Just so much more organic, full, etc than any of the recent class d offerings. Amazing DI. Most recent comparison was a Mesa D800, nice but TF all the way! Any one else finalized similar journey?

Check out the amp guts! Build to last and the big iron trans just can’t be replicated tone wise any other way. Beefy, simple , old school and the best tone shaping of any amp I’ve ever seen.

Why aren’t the TFs more popular these days?

Amps are now 100 gas free for me!

Attached Files:

PhatBottomBass1 and svtb15 like this.
  2. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I own and play several class d's but still have my T-Funk. They are awesome amps!

chris_b likes this.
  3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I thought Dave Funk was MIA these days?

4. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I've been on my second TFB-750A for the last 5 years or so. I will never sell it. There have been a couple enticing all tube options in the boutique world, but it will be an addition to the amp stable.

godley69 and R Upsomegrub like this.
  5. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Only amp I regret selling is a Gibson gb440

dregsfan and brettson like this.
  6. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    For whatever reason they aren't popular now but I feel they are one of the best amps out there, when the craze of Class D amps fade the TF will still be playing strong!

Joe Clark and godley69 like this.
  7. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Other thing I found is the th750 goes so well with my noble preamp.

brettson and 5StringPocket like this.
  8. You've gotta learn to drive the EQ section properly to really appreciate its potential.

My Thunderfunk 550 isn't going anywhere.

Interceptor and godley69 like this.
  9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    My TFB-420 isn't going anywhere.

TFB-420 and a pair of EV 15's and I'm in hog heaven. That pairing just gets into power supply sag / compression right where things work right with a moderately loud drummer.

I gigged a Thunderfunk through a fearful for six years, and that rig was a chameleon able to adapt to whatever the voice was I needed for the different work at hand. Not a super loud rig, but enough for the stage, and the DI out of the Thunderfunk is top shelf.

I usually gig tubes these days, but the Thunderfunk is at the best I've had in a solid state product. I hurt mine years ago through some stupidity on my part, and Dave sent me the full schematics and "x-ray" shots of the circuit boards. With that documentation in hand, I'll be able to keep it running as long as I can find parts if ever needed. If push came to shove, I'd pick up a SWR as a parts donor.

10. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I don't want to hear this, man. Like I need another thing to blow money on, hahah.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    So I will have a TF 550B coming next week from another TBer. Never owned one but always wanted one. I'm planning on pairing it with two 8 ohm EV12Ls. Cant wait to get tp play it, wish it was here today.

BassikBrad likes this.
  12. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I got my TF and man is it powerful, I'm through with class D amps.

Joe Clark and chris_b like this.
  13. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I'll just add that in using 2 different TF 750's, from the year it was released(2007?)-2010 and again 2012-now, I've never had a single issue between the two amps I owned. That's probably close to 600 gigs and not a single issue. It's easily my favorite solid state amp of all time.

Red Planet and JPMcGuire like this.
  14. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I gig a magellan and like it but, no class D hits like the thunderfunk, eden and other lead sled amps. Its a fact.

15. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I agree with this 100%. It's insane to me that people think that any Class D amps are comparable.

JPMcGuire likes this.
  16. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Agreed!

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Agreed, Ive got a TE Elf and a GK MB500 Fusion both great amps but the Thunderfunk is one bad mofo and mine is the 550 B.

18. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Almost $2000 to get a Thunderfunk now...plus canadian $ conversion and import duties....$3000 canadian

19. yeah they used to be a lot cheaper. i recall the price being comparable to the old yorkville XS400/800 amps. kicking myself for not getting one then. not worth the current asking price for me now.

murphy likes this.
  20. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I've been really pleased with my Magellan 800 but would love to hear a TFB-800 with a Noble for that added tubey goodness.

kringle77 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022