1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD THUNDERFUNK 750A AMP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Joebone, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    $1100.00
    You know the amp - Dave Funk continues to refine a classic design that originated with Russ Allee and his Amplified Musical Products (AMP) line, and which was embraced by Jaco. (Allee was also involved with the classic Acoustic amps and early SWR and Eden designs - he's worth a word search!)

I bought this one direct from Dave Funk about three years ago; he had taken it back on trade and given it a bit of love after two years in service. Regrettably, I've put very few miles on it - I'm not presently doing the kinds of gigs that justify this piece, only have like 30 hours on it in the last 24 months, so out it must go.

Condition is quite good - some light scuffing on top, front looks great, operationally all is well, other than sometimes some scratchiness in the master volume control - probably could use a spray of DeOxit.

And man, it operates very well, indeed! If you've not used one of these before, it is a treat - use the timbre control to quick-adjust your overall tone, use the super-flexible EQ to deal with weird room issues, use the killer DI for recording or FOH, and enjoy a warm, big, punchy sound that is tight. And if you do chordal playing, you are in for a treat - these amps really sort things out. I seem to recall Todd Johnson using a 550B for a long timeā€¦

I've not played the newest 800 version, but I have used the 420 and 550 in the past...the 750 is my favorite of those, by far...no transformer hum, more girth. And if you send it back to Dave Funk, there is an upgrade path to the 800B (only $195!) or 800V (the new tube preamp) specification.

A great amp. If my scene should change, I'll get another Thunderfunk. They really are the best. I put this up for sale twice before but withdrew it 'cuz I dig it so much, particularly as I've been shifting toward fretless and loving how the preamp section tracks the fine nuances of your playing...but I'm still not using it in the way it best can be used. This amp always sounds great, but really shines when it has to kick it out a bit, and I'm simply not doing that kind of stuff. And while the Class D amps continue to improve, if you are doing gigs where you are pounding steady streams of eighth notes, you'll really appreciate how a big hunk of old-school transformer gives you more oomph.

Price is $1100 shipped CONUS. Seems to be midway between asking prices for older 550Bs, and other 750As or 800s.

Not quite sure why I only can import thumbnail images, but here's a link to full-sized photos:

For pictures: http://joebone1.imgur.com/
    Looking for dollars rather than trades; thanks. pErI1Gks. wLDoVzks. GU37jQts. IGVedEks. 28OZLzHs. fZKoPOOs. gadSHEus. qfGtJ8Ms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Mrzonehead

Mrzonehead

Jan 3, 2013
    I see you're in LA...I am too and am very interested...

3. Mrzonehead

Mrzonehead

Jan 3, 2013
    Pm'd

4. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Sale Pending

5. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005