1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thunderfunk 750a or aggie db750 with accugroove whappo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptoon, Apr 16, 2009.

1. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    i'm thinking it's new amp time and i'm wondering if the accugroove + thunderfunk phenomena is as alive as it was a couple years back or even more so with the 750 and how it compares with the db750...i've read most of the threads regarding these amps...i'm currently using a 100 or so pound peavey rig (max preamp + a peavey poweramp) or a LMII. My primary bass has recently become my new bee stinger 5 string...that thing rocks, btw :D most of the stuff i play is rock, and i'm more into thick, meaty tone...my faves of the amps i've owned previously have been my eden navigator + a poweramp and a mesa 400+...since most of the stuff i'm doing currently is heavy rock via long distance recording sessions, it needs a super awesome DI...i like to supply the studio with a mic'ed cab as well as pre and post DI so they can get a good bass track with whatever they need for the song...anyway, help a feller out :D

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I use a TF750, and I just picked up a Whappo Jr and took it to practice for the first time last night. I'd previously been using a Bergantino AE410.

The Whappo Jr definitely has more deep low end, but it was noticably less quick with the attack, and I didn't have as much midrange. The good news is that the super-aggressive high end of the Berg was a nice, smooth tone with the Whappo Jr, and I feel like I'll be better able to EQ in the midrange that I want than I was able to dial down the treble with the Berg.

Granted, the Whappo Jr isn't quite the cab that the Whappo is, but I felt like if big, smooth, and deep is your game, the Whappo Jr was right there, and I'd imagine the Whappo wouldn't be too different.

3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    right on...i've heard that some people prefer the jr over the whappo, but i love mine...just trying to figure out which amp might be the best for me to pair ir with...it's funny how awesome my LMII sounds with that cab and how silly it looks sitting on top of that big cab

4. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

I'm currently running a DB-750 with an El Whappo. All I can say is that it just sounds amazing! deep and low when you want it, punchy when you need it.

The cab is a breeze to move(I've got a newer one that comes in at 70 lbs!). The head feel heavier that the cab to move but I know that all in my head...

5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    when i got my whappo, i thought that the box was empty...huge change over the ampeg fridge and eden 410xlt's and 115xlt's i was using

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i know tommixx LOVES his whappo cabs, and both of those amps. not to mention records and gigs extensively with both setups. it behooves you to PM him.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The DB750 (big, wide down low, relatively polite in the mids and organic/polite up top) with the ElWhappo (big, wide down low, relatively polite in the mids and organic/polite up top) would be too much of a good thing for many. I'm sure it's warm and big and fat, and if that's what you are looking for, I'm sure it kills. I've always enjoyed the DB750 with tighter more mid oriented cabs like the AE410 and the NV610. Pure IMO, and just posting to provide you with some 'thinking points' regarding the tone you are trying to achieve.

I've heard the Whappo (actually the modular Whappo.... Tri115/Tri112) with the TF550 and it kicked... nice and warm, plenty big down low, but also nice articulation in the mids and at least a little bit of sizzle up top when needed.

It would be the TF750 all the way with that cab for me, and you save a rack space and about 30 pounds also.

8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    joker - i was gonna send a PM to tommixx and big string and a couple other fellas that know whats up if they don't post here...i've found a pretty good deal locally on a db750 and i'm thinking about it pretty hard...just need to move quickly...

KJung - i knew it wouldn't be too long before i saw ya... :D i always think you pass out good advice and are able to describe how you hear things with a certain accuracy that is difficult for most to articulate...we always appreciate that...i don't know why, but to my ears, articulation isn't always where it's at...i suppose i'm one of those guys that prefers billy sheehan over anthony jackson ;)

thanks fellers :D

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    in one of my rigs right now i'm running something somewhat similar:

carvin b1500 into 2 accugroove tri112s

from what i gather, the b1500 is a bit quicker and can be a bit cleaner than the db750, but in terms of power, it pushes a lot

this rig sounds very full without flabbiness in the deep low end, and it has a lot of lower-midrange punch, very flexible with eq, though i run it nearly flat because it sounds great with my instrument and fits well into my progressive/experimental band's soundscape

as kjung mentioned, you might consider a modular 'el whappo' or 'whappo jr' by using a tri 115 and tri112 or 2 tri112s...fwiw, i've been very happy with the tri112s, especially since i moved from a thunderfunk 420 up to the b1500--the additional power on tap really filled out the sound in a big way, especially the lows and low mids

edit: from what i hear (no personal experience) the TF750 would be a great match for a whappo or whappo jr...i'd also like to hear the new synergy matched to these cabs for comparison, as it puts out similar power as the TF750

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment.:) And yeah, nothing wrong with that big fat organic tone AT ALL. It just depends what you want. Either head with that cab will be a top of the line rig in every way. Just depends on the mix of 'fat versus punch' that you desire.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ken, it seems you and I line up on this point daily ;)

The DB750 and an ElWhappo seems like a bad pairing to me. The Thunderfunk seems like a good pairing. That said, the older T550 series amps, to my ears, were a bit less modern sounding than the T750 and might be an even better match tonally... The added power from Dave's current amp is a definite benefit though... Bit of a coin toss.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've heard a few TF750 owners post they were impressed with the expanded low end and power of the TF750a, but that they missed that more compressed, tight, warm, 'classic' TF tone. I guess it's hard for an amp designer to make everyone happy with an updated version. I assume Aguilar will go through the same thing with the 751 update, which some loving it, and others missing the tone of the original.

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    FWIW, I am selling my TF750a because I find it too compressed sounding, especially in the highs. It probably works better with wider sounding cabs, but even if Schroeder cabs are known for some mid bump and not loads of very deep lows, they have plenty treble imo.

Just my opinion, I know many people here disagree.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Actually, that's one of the primary reasons I moved from my TF to the MB heads... the top end of the TF was nice and natural and smooth sounding (my experience is with the TF550 series) but just got eaten up in the mix IF you like an aggressive 'new stainless steel roundwound' type tone, even with a cab capable of nice 4K+ sparkle.

However, the OP isn't into that at all from his description of what he's looking for.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I agree here... I love my Bergantino AE410, but I often find myself fighting the over-articulation in it. I seem to always have my passive tone cranked way down, which cuts some of the ultra hi-fi sound, but at the same time starts to hurt my clarity down low. It's probably a little bit of trying to have my cake and eat it too, but as much as I love the cab, I was really eager to try something else.

Just to prove the old "different strokes, different folks" anecdote, this is why I LOVE my TF750. I've got (and am currently selling) a Mike Pope MPP-1 preamp, and although it's got a world class design and super-versatile EQ, I always find myself trying to EQ back to what the TF gives me naturally... strong low end, great punchy mids, and a round but present top end (which is my way of saying 'compressed top end' and being happy about it). But that's what makes being a gear hound fun... I like things for the same reasons you don't, and vice versa! :)

16. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1, I would have a fresh set of DR Hi-beams for every gig if I could afford it. ;)

I am not able to try before I buy, so after reading about this new, wider sounding TF head I was very surprised when I got to play through it...

It is still an amazing amp though, and obviously it suits a lot of players, OP included I'd guess.

17. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL

i think there is definitely a place for that in certain applications, and that's why i'm probably going to keep my markbass LMII...also, the bass i'm using, a bee stinger 5 with a graphite neck and BE maple fingerboard, is pretty inherently sparkly and articulate

18. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'd definitely keep the LMII. A seminal amp if ever there was one. My LMII has replaced my TF550 as my main gigging head. Convenience. Smaller, lighter. I love the sound of the LMII...it sounds as if it should cost WAY more than it does. That said, every time I hook up my TF, I am amazed...once more...that it has some major mojo going on. For that reason, I can't bring myself to sell it. I have never, ever had any problems cutting through the mix with the TF...even with my pair of GS112s.
    I rarely ever mess with the eq section of the TF. I am amazed at how I can manipulate the 'timbre' knob and quickly have just what I need for whatever room I am playing in.

Kim

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had a similar experience with the TF550B and my Schroeder cabinet. I liked the way my LMII sounded with the cabinet better.

20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    yep, the LMII is pretty righteous...i'm only going to sell one of them :D