Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk (and others) users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maurilio, Oct 23, 2004.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi guys,
    if you're looking for a bag for your amp, check this out.

I've found this Gizmo bag on "musician's friend". They come in different size. I got the 13/17. You just put a thick piece of foam to protect the bottom side (switches...) that's it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/549810

I thought I'd to share....

Aloha

Mo'

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Does 13/17 refer to size of the main compartment? What a great bag for WW users!

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I bought two, because I wasn't sure about the size. Used them with my 13lb. SWR 220 (now sold.), having bought them from MF. After about a week both developed long tears where the shoulder strap was stitched into the side of the bag. I used one, it ripped, then I employed the other and it ripped in the same place.

Maybe if you don't use the shoulder strap it will be okay, but I can almost guarantee you'll suffer the same result I did.

For a Walter Woods or a Focus, you might have better luck because they're so light they might not stress the bag.

I didn't send them back, didn't feel like messing with it. Just a bummer.

Will

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bummer about the stress-related tearing when carrying a heavier load. They'd be cool for hauling around miscellaneous items like cables, loose pedals, and other odds and ends.

5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Oooooopppsssss :(

I didn't know about it.... I've just got it!
    Thanks guys for the hint, let's see what's gonna happen in the next weeks!

Mo'

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi there,
    yes, the numbers are referring to the inside size.
    Now I'm kinda concerne about the reliability of this bags (see the posts above).

Mo'

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The SWR 220 I had in there...I believe was 13lbs, not that heavy at all. If I had ripped one, I'd say I got a defective one. But I ripped two in the course of about 2 weeks, same rip in the same place.

A Focus or WW might be fine, as I said, but I'm betting a Thunderfunk will tear the bag mighty fast.

Will

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd be interested in hearing how yours holds up, hopefully better than Will's... maybe newer bags have reinforcement? (he asks hopefully, expecting the anwer 'no'...)

Anyways, I'd like to find a decent (i.e. sturdy + protective), cheap bag for the 'Funk, even if this one may not be the one...

9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    That's pretty reasonable, but Daves case is quite padded,and if you're going to spend 900 dollars on an amp, you might want to think twice about saving 50 on the case you carry it in. Just my two cents.
    I did want to mention that ther is a used Thunderfunk on ebay (item # 375350760). Opening bid is $495, with a buy it now at $595, and as a Thunderfunk user, that is a steal! Good luck guys and girls.

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi,
    you're right, Dave's case looks great, but it is $200!
    Don't tell me about it, after I bought the TF I started to see all this used ($600 <--> $700), #@#$%!
    What ever, I happy with mine, anyway!
    Adios

Mo'

11. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    hahaha, good one Mo. As long as you are happy.Dave's bag is $95.00, The anvil type case may be 200, but the bag isn't that bad.There are many bags that are imported from China though that are very inexpensive and would work well, I don't have any names for you right now, but our buyer assures me that this particular bag is about a 6-8 dollar purchase from china (to an importer).I will see if I can find out who is actually bringing in something like this and let you know.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Mel,

Do you have a link for the bag? All that I see is the $195 padded rack case. I guess I could e-mail Dave, but while we are on the subject, it may help others too.

Thanks,

Lync

13. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA

Hi,
    I wrote to Dave and he told me He doesn't have bags!?!?!? ...but he can get a custom built one, more expensive!...mmmm, I don't understand!

Mo'

14. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Lync,
    I actually got mine from Dave, I think it was a demo, but he should have them.I tried to talk him into the cheaper bag, but he is a stickler for quality and that is a good thing.My arguement was much like Mon's, heck if I spend this kind of money on an amp, I'd like to get a break on the bag at least.
    We deal with alot of importers where I work, and I will try to find a good bag for a reasonable price for anyone interested.I like quality too, but in a bag, I think I could live with a knockoff.I will post if I am sucessful.

15. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hey, sounds good, let us know.
    Thanks

Mo'

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Mel,

Thanks-I'm using an effects board bag now to transport-I use foam to keep the amp from moving around. On the lookout for better (not $195 better yet though!).

Thanks for helping us out.

Lync

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'd just thought they started talking about prog rock...

*makes his bad pun then leaves*

18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    LOL! I'm partial to things written in 13/17 time actually. :cool:

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

20. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks for the heads up Wilby! Not gonna go there. If they can't handle 13 lbs., I won't even try for 17.

I've been looking on the bay at some laptop bags and there seem to be very few that can accomodate my 1001's dimensions. 17.5X8X3.5 or so. I'm thinking I'll just toss it in a book bag's main compartment by itself and not be worried. I don't want to rack it and I don't want to spend more than $25 or so shipped on a carrying case. I already have a bookbag. :cool: