Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ThunderFunk arrives with a boom!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arranger, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Just got a new ThunderFunk TFB420 in from BassNW yesterday. Here's my review after 24 hours of ownership:

HOLY MOLY THIS THING IS SOOOOOO NICE! :hyper:

I hope this helps to clarify the tremendous capabilities of this product. :) I'll type more later when my fingers stop plucking.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: I'm soooo thinking I need one of them!

Congrats

3. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    :hyper: What cab are you using with it.

4. duncbass

duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I got mine a few weeks ago and more recently receive my DrBass 212 4ohm cab. I've only had it at the house at low volumn so far due to lack of a band and a gig. But it sounds great. Much closer to a studio sound than the last bass rig I had many years ago. Maybe I should say it sounds more like the bass direct in a studio but tailorable. I'm running it flat and just playing with the Timbre and Enhance? controls so far. I wish I had more to compare it to but I really like the sound so I should concentrate on playing instead!

dunc

5. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I thought it would be sad, I'm using an Ampeg SVT-15E with an Ampeg SVT-210Pro, or a pair of SVT-210Pros, but it's really quite nice. I'm really into lightening up and have looked at Bergantino. If they are that much better, my rig will really turn pro! I want to take it one step at a time and A/B the Bergs against my current rig.

I had all Ampeg, and ditched the Ampeg SVT-350H head for the ThunderFunk. A VERY wise move in my case. The ThunderFunk it incredibly versitile. I can't believe how many sounds are in there, and best of all, I found mine in about five minutes. It seems like it does well in it's flat settings with just a little tweeking of the Enhance and Timbre controls, like what Duncbass noticed. My lord, this is rated at 400@4ohms and the Ampeg was 350@4ohms, but there is no comparison in headroom. Everyone always said the Ampeg SS was over-rated. Now I know.

The ThunderFunk is my first experience with what I consider professional quality.