Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk at 8 Ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 1, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there a big difference in loudness when using the Thunderfunk at 4 Ohms compared to 8 Ohms. Most of the cabs I fall for are 8 Ohms and I can only afford one cab and dont want to carry two cabs. Is it worth waiting for a good 4 ohm cab to surface in my neighborhood? Will I even notice a difference?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends. how loud do you need to be?
    With the 500w TFunk, you'll get around 300W @ 8ohms
    I have the same issue, I use an EX CXL-210 cab with the 500W Thunderfunk. It's plenty loud for me.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    at most you'll get a 3 dB (just noticeable) difference using a 4 ohm cabinet if it is otherwise identical to an 8 ohm cabinet. i wouldnt sweat it. those i know who use a t-funk with one 8 ohm cab (even single driver cabs) state that it's plenty loud, and seems to be louder watt for watt than many other amplifiers.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have the TFB550.
    I use a 4ohm cab (BAGEND D10B-D).
    The difference should not be that huge.
    However, cuz the TF is so light, you can take it from store to store trying out some other cabs. There are plenty of 4ohm cabs out there to try. If you just can't find one you dig (?) I guess you'll lose some efficency.

When you say you "fall for" those 8ohm cabs, what is it you like about them?
    What cabs do you like and why?

Maybe we can help you find a 4ohm cab to fit your needs.

Was that the question?

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks.
    The head I own now is a Gibson GB440 which the Thunderfunk is based on. It gives 280W at 8 ohms. I just won a Glockenklang Uno (1x15 8ohm version) cab at eBay so I guess I will have to see if this will be enough for me. :D
    Im a 15 guy so the Glock will probably suit me great.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I owned several of the GB440's and if I'm not mistaken it's 240 watt @ 8 ohms.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That is probably right.

I used a 300W Ashdown with an SWR Bigfoot 2x12 that has an efficiency of 95dB/1W and that was loud enough but quite muddy. Right now I use an old Yamaha B100 combo with 100W and one 15". It´s really heavy and quite loud for my needs but not much fundamental. Hopefully the Glock can compete with this and give a clearer sound.
    I also have a really nice 1x12 based on a 350W JBL speaker that I built (the driver itself weighs 25 ibs :eek: ). It´s heavy and I´d prefer to move only one cab, but I´ll probably use them together if needed.

8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I use the TFB-420 pretty much exclusively with an 8 ohm cabinet and I've never maxed out the clean volume. We don't play real loud by my definition but our sound guy does measure the Db reading at around 95-97 Db's (and I'm usually on about 4 - gain and 3 1/2 - master with a SWR Goliath III 8 ohm cabinet. I will say though that using my SWR 410 and my Berg HT210 (8 ohms also) together at 4 ohms moves a lot more air and is capable of putting out a much louder clean sound. Thus far I only use two cabinets (4 ohms) when doing an outdoor gig.